Chapter Twenty-Two

I guess under normal circumstances, having a group of boys running after you could have been a good thing. But this was in no way, shape, or form a normal circumstance. And these boys, were zombie-like spirits from the Arthurian period. Not exactly a dream come true for anyone. Unless you like zombies trying to murder you, for some strange reason. But hey, I won't judge.

Despite being zombies, I will say they run very fast. Movies and video games are misleading. I unfortunately did not have a weapon on me, so I ran for the hills as fast as I could. Literally. There were a bunch of hills beside where Llyn Llydaw had been. And, well, a giant castle with flags of the Pendragon symbol. Hey, if I was going to find something to defend myself, this was the place.

If I thought back to year eight, when we did the Roman Empire, I had a vague idea of where the armoury would be. It wasn't much, considering not all medieval castles were identical, but it was enough.

The Knights of the Round Table knew the castle better than I did, however. They followed close behind, shouting.

"Kill the Enchantress!"

"Burn the witch!"

"For Camelot!"

For an Enchantress, I wasn't very magical looking. Marvel boxer shorts, and a plain black t-shirt wasn't the common attire for an Enchantress. Or a witch. But another thing, Enchantresses and witches were human. It has been well established that I am not. So, that crosses off two things that weren't even on the list. Yay.

I heard a soft whisper from the climbing vines outside, telling me to duck. So, I did. One of the knights lunged will their spear but went flying over me as they tripped.

"How dare thee hurt Sir Galahad!"

I quickly got up and continued running, stomping on Galahad's nose as I went. It was an accident. I swear.

I rounded a corner and found it to be filled with coats of arms. They carried an array of weapons, gleaming self-luminous red in the mystical light. I would've said it was glowing, because it looked that way, but it wasn't. There is a reason it's called self-luminous.

I dashed down the corridor, unsure of which weapon I should grab to defend myself. I would've gone for a dagger, but there weren't any in sight. There were spears, javelins, axes, swords, and lances, but no daggers.

I had to think quick, so I thought back to Phys Ed. I was terrible at most sports, but I had been good at softball, footy, soccer, and badminton. So, that crossed spears, javelins, and lances off the list. Mainly because I didn't think I could wield a large stick as a weapon. So, that left me with sword or axe. I had previously defeated my enemies with fists, kicks, knives, and a ladle. A large sword didn't seem right for that style of combat, so I quickly grabbed an axe.

I yanked it from the armour, and the zombie knights backed away a little. They glared at the weapon, not daring to come close while I wielded it. I looked at it to see why. It glowed green, and vine like tendrils curled around it in my hands. It shifted weight to fit comfortably, the handle changing to my ideal shape and the blade shrinking. I looked at it in shock, watching as it changed to suite me best.

Much like the sword Nimue had been holding, the handle was made of jewels and gemstones. They were all varying shades of green. Skull shaped malachite, flower shaped emeralds, talons and claws made of jades, and a ribbon of peridot to hold it together. They shrunk and blended into the iridescent self-luminous red blade, the same symbol on my hands appearing on either side of it. It looked more like a display piece, but the way the zombies glared told me it was just as deadly as any weapon.

The axe – despite being made of jewels and some strange metal – was as light as a switchblade. It was smaller in my hands than in the hands of the armour, but I preferred it that way. Much easier to use a moderately sized axe than have to lug around a giant one.