Chapter Twenty

My night got a lot more complicated than just eating dinner, having a shower, and going to bed. I won't bore you with the details of how dinner went, because it went as normal, despite everything being the furthest thing from normal. I tried to ask Jade if she knew anything about Ms Boroong, and Mr Gladiare, but she refused to answer. Typical Jade, being her typical annoying self.

So, I had to get my answers from someone else. I had been holding off from asking Mors, because it would mean I'd have to die, and last time that happened, it took me twenty-four hours to come back to life. I wasn't keen on having to explain that one to Samara.

But sometimes you have to do difficult things for the great or good. Or, you have to do difficult things so that people finally explain what the fuck is going on and why some red light is trying to murder you.

Jade refused to be there or help, saying I was being stupid, and that Mors didn't explain before, and he won't explain this time. I probably should've listened to her, but hey, she can't tell me what to do. If I want to do something stupid and dangerous then I will.

"I don't think this is a good idea," Zak said. "What if you're out of commission for a really long time? How am I supposed to explain that to Mum?"

I shrugged. "I don't know," I conceded. "But if you were in my place, you'd want answers."

"Okay, but is dying really the way to get those answers?" Zak asked, pointing to the knife in my hands. "I just think a little research would be better than this. I mean, Ciara might as well be a book titled 'The Entire History of the Human Race.' Because that definitely sounds like a much more reasonable option than killing yourself. Again."

I sighed. "I've already endangered you by letting you get involved," I explained, "and that was only because it was the only way out. If Ciara got hurt because I chose to get her involved, I don't know what I'd do."

"Oh, come on," Zak waved my remark away. "You choose to hurt people all the time. Just ask Enzo."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "This is different."

"How so?"

"Because I didn't kill Enzo," I crossed my arms, "and Ciara is my friend."

"Okay, but like, what if you've only got a certain number of chances?" Zak looked down. "What if the next time, you don't come back?"

I looked at him, and immediately felt guilty for asking him to help me with this. I understood that I had endangered him, and he understood that, but he wasn't concerned for himself. He was concerned for me. After everything with his Father, myself and Ciara were the only ones to stick with him. Having to watch me die over and over again would have to cause some serious problems.

I looked away from him, not being able to meet his gaze.

"How about you go?" I suggested in a low voice. "You don't have to keep watch."

Zak fiddled with his fingers and gulped, before shaking his head with a look of determination. "You can't get rid of me that easy. We're officially in this together."

I smiled at him. Zak definitely had the award for best cousin in the universe. I didn't know of anyone that would put up with all of this for a cousin they only used to see three times a year.

I held my breath as I moved the knife to point it at my chest. For some reason it felt unnatural to do it that way And impractical. I'd never really thought about it, but when I killed those people at the Clark Corporation lab, I always went for the throat. Which was why they were so easily able to cover it up, and so those poor families wouldn't know what I had done...