Chapter Two

Hi! Just a warning, the only places within this chapter that aren't real are the schools. I made the schools up. But everywhere else is a real place. I would know, I live in the Wanneroo area.

--------------------------

            The police had interviewed Jade and I, but I could tell that we weren't much help. The dejected expression and sympathetic sigh were a big give away. So, I started packing up my things. Without our parents, Jade and I would be moving in with our Aunt Samara and our cousin Zak. This meant a long drive from our home in Dalkeith to Joondalup.

Sadly, that also means we have to go to a new school. Now, the Wanneroo area had plenty of schools, so that wasn't a problem, but they didn't have our school. We had friends, established enemies, and teachers that we liked. At a new school we'd be watched by everyone and have to reinstate our reputations. The only positive would be that at a new school there might be less guys trying to win me over.

I threw my bags into the boot of Samara's car and hopped inside. It took Jade slightly longer, as she tried to lift her bags carefully so that her fake nails wouldn't snap. I never understood why someone would risk pulling their nail off when they're perfectly capable of just growing them out.

Jade finally managed to get her bags into the boot and climbed into the front seat next to Samara. Those were the shotgun rules in our family. The oldest got shotgun. Bit stupid in my opinion, but it wasn't up to me.

I fiddled with the fraying threads of the bandages around my wrist as Samara started the car. The underside of my thigh, my palm and my forehead had healed, and my shins had scarred but my wrist would take a while. I had ignored Triston and Addison's repeated messaging and went as far as to block them. They still had questions about my whole bin jumping stunt. Clearly, they didn't think a small person could be so agile and somehow still take a tumble.

Samara sighed. "Alright guys, you know the rules," she said, "masks on."

Samara gave both Jade and I a mask before pulling one over her own face. Sharing masks seemed to diminish the whole point of them, but I still pulled it over my mouth and nose. Samara sighed again, fogging up her glasses, and pulled out of the driveway.

"So, I know this isn't ideal," her voice was muffled by the mask, "but the police are looking for your Mum and Dad as we speak, and I have every confidence that they will find them."

I don't know about that, I thought. Truth is, in Australia we have cases of missing people dating back so far that any photos of them are probably no help. Rather unfortunate, but it's the truth of the situation. So, I really didn't have much faith in the police being able to find them.

Samara put on her dreadful radio and put us through listening to old people music before letting me look through my bag to find some earphones. I connected them to my phone before playing some music. Honestly, the shit Samara listens to is terrible. I don't know how people with voices like those make it.

I could see from the mirror that Samara was talking, and I knew Jade was asking if I could get her earphones, but I pretended to not know. Jade forced me to listen to Dad's music enough times for this to be completely justified.

I looked out the window and watched the suburb I had grown up in fly past as we left it all behind.

Samara pulled into her driveway and stopped, causing me to knock my head into the window I had been leaning against. I groaned and rubbed the spot I hit, before peeling my eyes fully open and unbuckling my seatbelt. I pushed the door open with my foot and dragged a few of the bags next to me out.