Chapter XVII

The weekend passed by, and so did Monday and Tuesday. Today was Wednesday, the 23rd of December.

Today was the final day of this school term and of this year.

The next time Briella would step into her school would be at the start of the new year.

To celebrate such an occasion, Briella and her school organized today - just like on Halloween - to be a day to dress up. But this time into Christmas jumpers, or anything else, as long as it has got to do with Christmas.

Briella decided to go with a pair of dark blue, bleached jeans. The upper half of her body was covered by a red coloured Christmas jumper, all while she wore a pair of her white converse on her feet. To top everything off, she put on her olive-green, knee-length coat.

Within 35 minutes, she managed to reach her school.

"Briella!" Nadia greeted her.

"Nadia! Hey. Can you believe that this year is almost over?".

"No," she replied. "But then again... yes...". A pause. They were both walking towards the classroom in which their first class of the day would be held in. "What about you?".

"I guess I can say the same... both yes and no...". Once more, a pause. "But I am glad it's over..." Briella added. "I am wondering what the new year has to offer.".

"Whatever it is, I hope it will be good," Nadia replied.

"I'm not gonna lie, same here...".

---------

Her first two classes ended swiftly, leading them all to their first - and only - break today. Since it was the final day before their term break, they were all to be let off a bit earlier than their usual dismissal every Friday. 12:30 PM.

It was a little past their 11 o'clock break that Briella and Nadia met up at their usual spot. Only minutes passing before Liam joined them too.

"There's Liam!" Nadia exclaimed.

"Good morning," he greeted them both. "Erm, did you guys see Ryan anywhere? I haven't seen him all morning.".

"No. Funnily enough, I was about to ask you the same question," Briella replied. "I didn't see him all morning either.".

"Maybe he's absent?..." Nadia suggested.

"Probably..." Briella added. But for some peculiar reason, the fact that Ryan was probably absent, caused a slightly melancholic sensation to flow through Briella. But she brushed the odd change off only seconds later.

With that, they go about and talk about their usual things before heading off to class.

---------

The bell rang at 12:30, dismissing all the students for their Christmas Midterm break.

The snow from last night only fell for about an hour or so. Meaning that not an awful lot of snow accumulated. With the temperature rising in the morning, it promoted the melting of the snow.

By 12:30, there was a very small amount of snow left.

"I wish the snow would have lasted for longer..." Briella commented as both Nadia and herself made their way down to the bus stop.

"I kinda like it like this," Nadia replied. "What's your deal with snow anyways? It looks so... cold and... soggy and... just full-on cold...".

"Ehhh... I like snow for those reasons. I like the cold," Briella began. "I also like snow because it reminds me of the way the cherry blossom leaves fall from their trees. They'd swirl and twirl round and round before reaching the ground...". A pause. "I also like snow because it's fun to play in it!".

"Playing in it?" Nadia raised an eyebrow. "Are you mad? Have you ever felt snow go down your back?".

"From time to time..." Briella responded.

"That. That feeling right there is why I dread snow so, so much. I try my best to get warm, and then some idiot HAS to shove a handful of snow down my back. I'm telling you, it happens to me every year..." Nadia voiced. "But they then get the taste of their own medicine... nobody messes with me without them getting the same back...".

Briella lets out a light chuckle. "I mess with you all the time and yet... so far, you haven't done anything vengeful.".

"Don't push your luck..." Nadia began, but her words caused them both to break into gentle laughter. "That's because you are my best friend. You are an exception to the rule!".

"Wow, the privilege of being Nadia's best friend," Briella teased.

"Ah shut it..." Nadia chuckled the words off. "But yah...". A short pause. "I can see why you like snow tho... you are such a romantic, you know that?".

"I so am not," Briella responded.

Nadia turned towards Briella and gave her a look. "Are you sure about that?".

Briella looked at Nadia. "Yes... now come on, we will miss the bus!!".

---------

Some time and one bus ride later, Briella arrived home. She unlocked the door of her flat before entering her home.

Taking off her shoes and heading straight into her room, she let her bag down and placed it in it usual place.

Only then did she reach for her phone. Unlocking it and going straight into her messages, she sees that Ryan didn't text her.

'Is he okay?...' Briella couldn't help but think to herself.

She proceeded to compose him a text. With the overall review of the text, she pressed 'send'.

'Hey, Ryan! How are you? By the way, is everything okay? You weren't in today. Liam asked for you and I got a bit worried. I hope everything is fine. If you need anything, don't hesitate to drop me a text!'.

She kept her phone in her hands, the message lit in front of her, waiting for Ryan to see the message. But very soon, with the realisation that she has some work got to do with housekeeping, she left her phone on the coffee table in her leaving room before quickly grabbing her vacuumed cleaner and giving her living space a quick clean.

Whilst she cleaned, she put some music on to play in the back.

Then she took care of her dishes, clothes and the little bit of homework she was assigned for the break.

Taking a break, she sat down on the sofa. From the coffee table, she took a grip of her phone before turning it on and opening the messages. Ryan didn't text her back. In fact, he didn't even see her message.

Now, she really began to feel unsettled.

She felt fear and worry coarse through her body.

They spun in circles in the pit of her stomach.

Taking the matter into her own hands, she took her coat before packing her phone into one of the pockets.

Then, she made her way to the there where she put on her shoes. But before leaving her house, she pulled out her phone one more time. She checked for any messages, still nothing.

Very quick, she decided to send another message to Ryan.

'Ryan? Is everything okay?'.

She proceeded on turning off her phone before placing it back into her pocket.

Pushing the door handle down, she opened the door and left her apartment, locking the door when she closed it.

And with that, she began her way to Ryan.