Chapter 17

John/Sherlock

Sunday

[1:34pm] Have you opened the box yet?

[1:41pm] Back to conversations with no greetings, are we?

[1:42pm] Sorry, hello John.

[1:42pm] Hello Sherlock.

[1:43pm] So have you?

[1:43pm] No.

[1:43pm] Good.

[1:43pm] What's in it?

[1:44pm] You'll find out when you open it.

[1:45pm] It's not a bomb, is it?

[1:45pm] No.

[1:46pm] Anything poisonous?

[1:47pm] Nope.

[1:47pm] Any body parts?

[1:48pm] Of course not! Who do you think I am?

[1:49pm] I think you're Sherlock Holmes and it sounds exactly like something you'd do.

[1:49pm] I would never do something like that to you.

[1:49pm] Maybe to my brother.

[1:49pm] But not to you.

[1:50pm] I feel special.

[1:51pm] Perhaps you're not to everyone else but, to me, you are special.

[1:51pm] Why?

[1:53pm] I haven't quite put my finger on that yet.

[1:53pm] There's something about you, John Watson. Something new and different.

[1:54pm] You fascinate me.

[1:54pm] Well, I'm glad we both feel the same way about each other in that aspect.

~

It was at this point that my mum decided to walk in the room. I continued to stare (and most likely blush) at my phone trying to indicate that I wasn't really in the mood for conversation. It usually worked. Not today apparently.

"John?" She asked from the doorway.

I let out a soft grunt. I knew I was being extremely unhelpful but I really did not want to talk to her.

"Can I talk to you for a second?" She asked and, without waiting for a response, perched on the end of my bed. There was no need for her to balance like that - my bed was big enough for us to both sit on. She looked uncomfortable which told me all I needed to know about how this conversation was going to go.

"I guess." I replied although I knew there was really no point. It was just a space filler, I suppose. This conversation was awkward already. I placed my phone on my bed (facedown incase Sherlock texted) and sat up.

I really hoped this wouldn't be another "birds and the bees" talk.

Mum cleared her throat and touched her hand to my knee briefly. This was going to be a touchy subject then, great.

"I just wanted you to know that your dad would be very proud of you."

And there is was. I rolled my eyes in annoyance at the mention of the word "dad". As far as I'm aware, I don't have a dad. I made that decision on holiday. My so called "dad" means nothing to me anymore.

I didn't even try to hide the anger in my voice as I spoke, "Then why can't he come and tell me that himself?"

"John..." My mum sighed, weakly attempting to interrupt.

"No, I'm serious." I began again, "I mean, it's not like he's dead. I'd like to remind you that he walked out on us, mum, we didn't push him out. Stop making it out like he was some kind of 'noble man' and should be idolised because he's not."

As soon as I'd stopped talking, I realised that the situation quickly became even more uncomfortable. I instantly felt bad for the obvious irritation in my tone. I wanted to apologise even though I did nothing wrong. I simply told the truth and we both knew it.

"You know I'll love you no matter what, don't you? No matter what... Gender you like..."

My mum and I both felt awkward talking about this topic. It was something we'd never discuss when dad was around. To him, being anything other than straight was a sin. He made that pretty clear. That's why he left when he found out about Harry's girlfriend. But it wasn't just that. Oh no. He left because everyone stuck up for her. He left because we were on her side and not his and I hate him for it.

"So..." My mum said suddenly, putting an end to my train wreak thoughts, "Is Sherlock your... Boyfriend?"

"No." I answered too quickly.

"Then what is he?"

I thought for a while, not quite knowing how to respond. Was there a word to describe our relationship? What actually was Sherlock? A friend? Best friend? Do people go around snogging their best friends?

After some thinking, I finally replied truthfully, "I don't know."

"It's okay if he is."

"Well he's not!" I snapped. She didn't understand. Of course she didn't understand. Parents never do.

My mum raised her hands in defeat, "Fine! Okay. I'm going."

Once she was in the doorway, she turned and added, "I'm here if you want to talk about it."

Talk about what exactly? I shuddered at the thought.

I lay on my bed and stared the plain-ness of my bedroom ceiling. It didn't matter what Sherlock was to me or, at least, it wouldn't soon.

I reached into my bedside drawer and pulled out the acceptance letter. Why did it have to be abroad?

I reread the letter for, what felt like, the 50th time. The child inside of me imagined it was my Hogwarts letter although I'm not sure whether that would be favourable. I'd still be going somewhere that's away from home. Away from Sherlock.

One week and then I'd be gone. Whisked off to another country to train for a job I no longer wanted. 11 months. Why didn't I just want to be a doctor? Why did it have to be an army doctor?

Through all my questions and thoughts, one bulldozed all the others with ease.

I was going to have to tell Sherlock.

And soon.

A/N

RANT BELOW

Alright so in the last chapter, someone commented saying that this fanfiction was a copy of two others, "A Finger Slip" mostly. The other (A Study in Love/Marriage) I have never read. If they seem similar, I'm sorry but it's purely coincidence.

I'd just like to point out that it was not my intention for them to seem similar. I've read "A Finger Slip" and was inspired by it to write my own in the same style. I try my best not to make the conversations the same but there's only so much you can do with the characters. If I made them talk about fluffy unicorns and rainbows, it would be completely out of character. If I made them talk about science there would be a likely chance of copying. There are so many Johnlock fanfictions out there that it's hard to come up with an original idea. Everything seems to have already been done but I try my hardest to make all my works original.

I'd also like to point out that I'm writing this purely for my entertainment. I'd still continue writing if nobody read it. I don't want it to become a fanfiction that everyone in the fandom has heard of as that wasn't why I started writing it in the first place.

I'm sorry if you see it as a copy of any other fanfictions but I can assure you that this was not my goal.

Sorry for ranting but I felt I needed to explain myself.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this chapter (even though it's a lot shorter than the last one).

- A