Chapter Three

Author's Note: I do not own West Side Story or any elements of it.

CHAPTER 3

Thursday

"Ain't you boys got somewhere else to be?"

Riff stood in the middle of the station, his hands shoved into his pockets, and kicked the squeaky floor. He looked up and stared back at Officer Krupke, who was looking at him exasperated from behind his desk.

"Most definitely, Officer Krupke," Riff replied. "Problem bein' is that one of your guys nabbed Baby John outside the store this mornin'. We've come to pick him up."

Krupke let out snort. "If he's been detained, he gotta stay detained. You can't just waltz in here and yank him out."

Riff turned around to shoot a smirk at Ice, who was waiting behind him.

"I get that Officer, I really do." He walked up to Krupke's desk and leaned against it. "Only thing is that there's a dance tonight. He's gotta get home and get ready so we can show up looking like the fine young gentlemen we are."

"I know there's a dance tonight," Krupke scoffed in response. "I'm workin' it. That means I'll have my eye on you."

He pointed a pencil at Riff to emphasise his point. Riff nodded.

"I wouldn't expect anything less. But I'm sure you can understand that we can't leave him out. That just wouldn't be right."

"I said no, Riff."

Riff glanced over to the open doorway of Lieutenant Schrank's office, where his desk sat empty.

"I think I should speak to your superior," Riff teased. "Where is he, anyhow?"

Krupke let out an annoyed sigh. "Lieutenant Schrank is out of town today. I'm in charge."

"See, I always knew you had it in ya." Riff reached over and smacked Krupke's arm in a fake congratulatory gesture.

"Look Riff, I'm very busy. Are you gonna hang round until I let your little buddy out?"

"Yep. I got all day, sir."

Krupke looked back and forth between Riff and Ice, internally debating for a few moments. After a while, he threw his hands into the air and rose from his desk. At his belt, a group of keys jangled.

"Alright Riff, I'll let him out this time," he explained. He walked towards the locked cell where Baby John watched in anticipation. He turned and pointed his finger at Riff. "But I don't want any trouble makin' at the dance tonight, you hear?"

Riff placed his hand over his heart. "Wouldn't dream of it."

"I don't know why I'm even tryin' to reason with ya. You ain't got no sense, Riff."

Riff watched as Krupke unlocked the door. Baby John quickly came out, and Riff patted him on the back.

"You okay, Baby John?" he asked.

"Yeah, thanks Riff."

"Good job, buddy boy. Let's get outta' here."

Riff turned to Krupke once more to try and get a rise out of him one last time, but was stopped dead when he saw a familiar face walk out of the back room.

Darcy didn't notice him at first, until she glanced up and caught his eye. The two stared at each other for a few seconds, before she rolled her eyes and continued her business. Riff could swear he heard her mumble "Not again" under her breath. He smirked and watched her move around the room, placing various folders onto the desks. Krupke stared at him aimlessly, not understanding what he was looking at. Eventually, he gave up on Riff and threw his hands in his direction and turned to go back to his desk.