Chapter Four

Author's Note: I do not own West Side Story or any elements of it.

CHAPTER FOUR

Darcy sat on the edge of her bed and picked at her sheets. After a few moments, she let out a sigh.

She rose and walked towards her window and stared out at the street below her. It was dark now. She was still getting used to the loudness and hustle of the city after being away for so long. Things had changed a lot. Buildings had been getting torn down, more faces each day looked unfamiliar, and crime seemed to be more prominent than ever.

Since helping out at the station, each day she saw different boys come in and out. They seemed to keep getting younger. She thought about the young guy they had thrown into the call earlier that day. He looked even younger than her, and so nervous about it too. She almost felt bad for him, but remembered that they weren't good boys. They did bad things and treated people like dirt. Her Dad always warned her about the dangers out on the west side, especially with all the gangs running around.

She forced herself to remember this whenever she thought of Riff.

They had only met a handful of times, but she was becoming frustrated with his constant appearances. Especially since today, when she found herself somewhat enjoying the attention she had received from him. She knew who she was, what he was capable of, and what he encouraged the guys under his wing to do, but meeting him in person...it was difficult for her to put those two things together in her head. He seemed so sure of himself, a quality that she wasn't sure someone who behaved the way he did could possess.

She fell back onto her bed in a huff. It had been a few months now, and she hadn't done anything remotely social. Going to the dance seemed like it could be fun - it annoyed her however that it was Riff who was trying to get her to go.

She knew that she shouldn't. The Jets and would be there, and most likely this new gang she had been hearing mentioned at the station - the Sharks - would be too. It seemed like an excuse to start trouble and she didn't want any part of that. So why had it been hanging in the back of her head all day?

Looking at the clock on the side of her bed, she knew the dance would be starting soon.

Riff's words played in her head. About how she wanted excitement. She was mad about how right he was. Moving back home had been a positive thing in most respects, but she did feel lonely. Even her Dad said that he wanted her to feel like she had a place there. He wanted her to go out and make friends. She doubted he meant go and make friends with Riff, or anyone from that circle.

A few loud voices under her window brought her attention back to outside. She saw in the distance a couple of figures, dressed to dance, walking and joking on their way to the gym. She bit her lip in thought.

Perhaps she could go, just to observe the dynamics. Yeah, that would work. It would help her understand things a bit more at the station when they talked about various trouble makers. And at the very least, perhaps if she saw Riff mixing with others and being an ass amongst his friends, then at least she would have more motivation to ignore him when he tried to engage her.

"Alright," she said, to nobody in particular. "I'll go."

She scribbled a note to leave for her father for when he got home and ran to her closet. As she started to get dressed, she affirmed to herself that the evening would be for observation only. She wouldn't dance, and even if she absolutely had to, it wouldn't be with Riff.

Riff weaved through the crowd of other dancers under the coloured lights of the gym. The music was blaring and he smiled as he joked with the Jets. It was the first dance he had gone to after Tony had been taken away. He was ready to unwind and have a good time. Of course, there was one massive elephant in the room.