Chapter Eleven

Author's Note: I do not own West Side Story or any part of it.

CHAPTER ELEVEN

Riff wasn't quite sure how he'd ended up like this: kneeling on top of a Shark, pounding his fist into the other's jaw.

Behind him, a pair of arms yanked him back and onto the dusty ground. He blinked into the sun and saw the outline of Bernardo standing above him. His eyes adjusted just in time to see a fist coming down towards his face. Riff rolled out of the way and felt the earth shudder beneath him as Bernardo's hand made contact with the earth.

Riff exhaled. He's better try and keep his face looking reasonable if he didn't want to drive Darcy away.

He jumped up onto his feet and brought his own fists up to his face, ready to defend against Bernardo.

Bernardo was a boxer, he'd learned. Which meant he was strong and a good shot. But Riff was slick and quick on his feet. He liked the challenge.

Bernardo threw a punch and Riff laughed as he dodged out of the way and avoided it.

In the corner of his eye, he saw the other Jets slamming Sharks into the ground or being slammed themselves. Hey, they weren't all great fighters.

"That the best you got?" he teased Bernardo, who scowled in anger.

Bernardo threw another fist, this time catching Riff's shoulder.

Riff grunted with the impact. He raised a fist and threw his own punch, all but growling when Bernardo ducked away.

Perhaps it had been the Sharks who had turned up at the wrong place, wrong time. Or maybe it was the other way around. But all Riff knew was that a nice couple of hours with Darcy had been followed up by hanging out with the Jets, which then resulted in this.

Riff pounced forward and connected his hand with Bernardo's cheek, feeling the satisfying crack that followed.

Bernardo lunged toward him and knocked Riff to the ground. The Shark was heavy with muscle - Riff struggled against him.

He didn't have to struggle for long. As usual, the Jets were right there. Diesel appeared behind Bernardo, pulling him backwards and onto the ground. Riff scrambled up and felt another person - a Jet, a Shark, he didn't know - shove against his back.

He turned around, ready to throw another punch, until he just caught sight of two police cruisers pulling up outside the basketball court where the brawl was taking place.

"Jesus," he muttered. "Always know when to break up a good fight, these guys."

As the cops jumped out of their cars and made their way into the mayhem, Riff grabbed Ice and pulled him up off the ground. He knew the Jets could make a run if there was a little distraction.

"Get everybody outta' here," he said. "I'll take care of this."

Ice nodded and yelled. "Jets, clear out!"

Quickly, the Jets and Sharks scrambled up and started running in different directions. The cops scurried to grab at someone, anyone, and Riff ran over to them with his hands up.

"Hey boys," he said with a smile. "Just in ti-"

He felt himself being tackled to the ground by two officers. Riff kicked and fought back, until the other cops joined in to hold him down. Riff glanced up and over his shoulder to see the last remaining Jets take off around the corner. Once he was sure they had made their escape, he relaxed.

"Alright, alright," he panted. "Let's go to the station. Can we stop at the diner on the way? I'm hungry as Hell."

The officers pulled him up from the ground and Riff felt the dust settle onto his clothes and face. He looked ahead and saw Lieutenant Shrank step out of the other car and walk towards him. Great, Riff thought. Just what I need. An interrogation from future Father-in-Law.