Chapter Seventeen

Disclaimer: I do not own West Side Story or any elements of it.

*Warning: This chapter contains scenes of sexual harassment/assault which may not be suitable for everyone.

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

When Darcy walked around the market the next day to get her breakfast, she felt as if she was dancing.

Everything seemed different. Colours seemed more vibrant, fruit smelled sweeter, and the rain from the night before had already started to dry away in the warm sun.

As she walked past the stalls and let the warm air sit against her face, she felt more certain. More sure now that she and Riff could get through anything, and it was just them in the world.

Caught in a daze, she did not see when she stepped forward and bumped into another person. A roll of fabric fell onto the ground.

"I'm sorry," Darcy blurted, bending down to pick it up. When she rose, she came face-to-face with a women she half-recognised. It took her a moment to realise it was the beautiful dark-skinned Puerto Rican from the dance. The girl with Bernardo. Darcy held out the fabric.

"It's you," Darcy said. "I remember you from the dance."

The woman looked Darcy up and down, seeming hesitant. ", I remember you too."

"I'm Darcy. You're Bernardo's girlfriend."

"Anita."

There was silence for a moment, and Darcy watched as Anita looked back over her shoulder, as if she wasn't sure if they should be talking.

"I think you're a beautiful dancer," Darcy found herself saying.

Anita gave a small smile, but did not respond otherwise. The two women stood opposite each other, the world moving around them as if they were not there.

"You are with the uno alto y flaco. Riff." Anita's eyes narrowed slightly. "The Jet."

"Yeah, but..." Darcy searched for words. When Anita started to move away, Darcy moved in front of her. "I'm not part of that. You know, the whole thing."

Anita looked unimpressed.

"Ay! The whole thing where your boyfriend and his friends tries to attack my boyfriend and his? Or the whole thing where everyone around here is slowly trying to get us out, huh?"

Anita tried to move again, and Darcy followed behind her, suddenly feeling a fierce need to defend herself.

"No, I just meant I- I'm not on anybody's side here. It's not my fight."

Anita stopped in her tracks and turned slowly to Darcy.

"Listen, niñita," she began, softer now. "If you are on nobody's side, then you are on their side. Your boyfriend is the worst of them."

"Look," Darcy began to feel self-conscious now. "I'm with him, but I don't agree with what he does."

Anita, looking sorry for Darcy now, reached out and placed her hand on Darcy's arm, gently.

"You are either with him, or against him. There are always sides."

When Darcy had nothing to say to that, Anita dropped her hand and gave her a soft, sad smile.

"Be careful," she said finally. With that, she turned around and Darcy watched her bright purple dress disappear into the crowds.

Darcy swallowed down her annoyance and uncertainty, and turned to head to the station for a long day at work.