21

Chapter Twenty-one: Moonlight

——————————————

"Giselle, could you please call me back?" I groan while listening to Connor's voicemail. I press a few buttons on the phone that led me to dial his number. I lay upside down with my legs and feet on the bed and my head was on the cold hardwood floor.

"Giselle. . ." I heard him on the other end of the phone. He sounded relieved yet shocked that I called him.

"Hi," I say letting my true emotions appear which resulted in me smiling. I was feeling quite mischievous and I wanted to play.

"Look, I know we have decided to end things, but I really need to see you." He told me. I glanced at my television as the Powerpuff Girls broadcasted on the screen.

"I-I. . ."

"Giselle, your father is here!" I hear my mother yell.

"I have to go Connor. I'll call you later tonight." I say ending the call quickly.

"Daddy!" I giggle like a little girl while rushing down the stairs. I leap into his arms as he awaited me at the bottom of the stairs.

"Giselle, you are far too big to do that." My mom scolds.

"Can it woman." My dad says as he spins me around. I relish at the moment not caring that I'm not a little girl.

"Oh please, she's basking in joy now, but she doesn't know you're leaving." My body stilled as the words registered in my head.

"You're leaving?" I ask softly.

"Just for a little while. I still have work back in Florida. I promise you I'll be back as soon as I can." He tells me pleadingly.

"I would like to get down now," I say softly feeling myself about to cry. He loosens his grip allowing me to be released from his grasp.

"Giselle." He says.

"You should've just left, and saved me from the theatrics," I mumble.

"What if you come with me? You're on summer break after all." He says. My eyes snap to his as I am filled with joy.

"Really?!" I scream. This will be perfect. I can spend time with my dad and snoop around.

"Absolutely not!" My mother interjects.

"Why not Ella? She needs to see her hometown." He says.

"Have you gone mad?! My daughter will not step foot back into Florida!" She screams.

"Mom, what happened to me was thirteen years ago. I can't keep running forever." I say crossing my arms.

"I'm going, and there's nothing you can do to stop me," I say.

"I do not want to come between you and your mom Giselle. Let's have some time to think this over." He says.

"Why fucking mention it if you're just going to side with my mother?!" I scream.

"Watch your fucking mouth, Giselle!" My mom yells.