25

Chapter Twenty-Five: Never Tear Us Apart

——————————————

The plates clinked as our utensils hit them making it the only sound in the dining room as Stacy and I ate. I cleared my throat taking a sip of my lemonade.

"Are you enjoying dinner?" She asks me softly. I smile at her and nod my head.

"It's delicious Stacy," I say puncturing a roasted potato.

"I'm sorry—"

"Look about today—" we both spoke at the same time making us chuckle lightly. I ushered my hand signaling her to go first.

"I hate that you had to see that Giselle. I'm terribly sorry, and as much as I hated seeing the photos, I can't bring myself to leave your father." She tells me as tears filled her eyes once again. She tossed her head back shaking it.

"That's understandable," I say softly pushing the green beans around.

"You know it all makes sense. I was just too blind to see it. It was happening right in front of my face. I thought he was spending his time trying to track you down. He was fucking another woman in the midst." She gulps down her wine.

"He told you I had a drinking problem huh?" She says. I tilt my head to the side feigning ignorance.

"I mean I drank because I was lonely. He actually made me feel bad for indulging. In my defense, it was coping after the miscarriages. I mean I'm sure that sounds like an issue, but he didn't seem to care." She rambles.

"I'm sorry this happened at this moment. It's just—" something in me snapped.

"Stop fucking apologizing, Stacy! Do you want to know why my father cheated? It's because you're weak. You can't let him trample over your heart and play you for some fool!" I scream. She looks taken aback and I fall back into my seat heaving before pouring some wine into her glass and drinking it all.

"Giselle. . ." She says.

"You're in this big ass house sulking in misery. You let him stray." I tell her.

"I had three miscarriages! I wasn't fine. I'm not fine!" She screams at me and I start clapping my hands finally getting the reaction that was needed.

"There it is. Get angry Stacy! I see that you're a people pleaser. Bending over backward to make sure everyone gets off, and what do you get Stacy?!" I say slamming my hand on the table.

"Demand the things that you want. Take back your life Stacy that you devoted to my father." I say.

"You're r-right." She tells me.

"More wine?" I suggest holding the bottle. She shakes her head 'no'.

"I've got something better." She tells me smiling.

——————————————

"Ugh, high school was so much fun," Stacy says taking another shot and then wincing due to the aftertaste.

"I should've married the quarterback. Man was he in love with me." She sighs reminiscing.

"Did you know my mom then?" I ask her. She nods her head 'yeah'.