One

When the world ended, Sydney had watched her ex husband get bit and turn. She killed him in front of her son, but Tommy was a smart boy. He knew the abuse his mother went through and he was glad to see his father die. "Mom." She shook her head and looked at Tommy. "You're thinking about that day again."

"I know, honey." She said. "I'm sorry about that..."

"Mom, what he did to you still haunts me." Tommy says. "I love you, mom."

Sydney smiled as she kissed her son's head. She heard the sound of a car horn causing her to look and see Glenn. Sydney shook her head as she saw the van. Tommy looked up at her smiling when they heard a guy name Rick being called out. "Lee got his best friend back."
~~~
That night, Sydney sat by her tent as everyone else sat by the fire. Tommy was asleep and Sydney was wrapped in a blanket looking up at the sky smiling. She loved to gaze up at the sky without thinking about the walkers. "Mom?" She heard and looked in. "Are you coming to bed?'

"Not yet." She said as Tommy crawled out of the tent and laid his head against her.

"Mom, do you think Merle is okay?"

"It's Merle." She tells him. "He'll be fine. I don't like how he was left behind though, but I'll leave that to Daryl."

"Would he leave us here?"

"What do you mean, Tommy?" She asked.

Tommy looked at her and smiled. "Since the day we met the Dixons, Daryl has been looking out for us as Lee watched out for Carol." He says. "You never saw it or heard him, but when we went on our walks, he'll be watching us or I'll hear him say to carry your gun."

"I always have my gun though."

"I know and he knows that. He's just watching out for us." Tommy says. "We are the only ones that Daryl talks too. Plus, he makes you happy."

Sydney looked at Tommy smiling as he hugged her. She didn't want to say anything, but she hated the sexual tension that's there too. She likes Daryl and something about him has her attracted to him. "Let's go to bed."

Tommy nodded as he kissed her check. "I love you, mom."

"I love you, Tommy."
~~~
The next day, Sydney walked through the woods when she heard screaming. "Tommy!" She called out as she ran.

Tommy was pulled behind Daryl as he threw a fit over the deer. "Tommy!" He turned and smiled.

"I'm fine, mom."

"Do you have your knife?" She asked him as he showed her. "Thank god."

"I was going to kill it, but they showed up then Daryl."

Daryl looked at the redhead causing her to smile at him. "You're still learning." She tells him. "Daryl or Lee wouldn't mind helping you learn more."

"I just want to keep you safe."

Sydney smiled as she hugged him. She looked at Daryl before leaving. He heard Sydney talking to Tommy about not showing off. Sydney saw Lori's disapproval looks. "He shouldn't have that around my kid."

"He doesn't carry it all the time." Sydney said. "And how the hell is he your child when your to busy running off fucking your husband's best friend." Lori's eyes widened. "Oh yeah. I forgot to mention that I was hunting when I heard the two of you. I wonder if I should tell Rick about the affair.'

"Please don't. It was a mistake."

"Then don't piss me off."

Lori watched Sydney walking away with Tommy who was talking about practicing more. Rick looked at Lee as he shook his head. "Since this world went to shit, Sydney has made sure her son learned how to keep himself safe." He said. "She is the only mother that allows her kid to carry. If she doesn't get to him in time, he'll be able to fight."

"She cares for him."

"A lot." Lee said. "Daryl cares for them too, but don't say anything about me telling you."

"I won't."
~~~
Sydney was gathering her and Tommy's clothes as he read his book. She heard arguing and shook her head. "They told him." She said as she looked to see Daryl being held down. "Seriously?" She put the basket down and walked over to them. "I hope you know that your at fault." Rick looked at her. "Daryl is pissed because you were dumb enough to leave Merle cuffed to a roof. What's even more dumb is that you turned Merle into bait. So he has rights to be pissed at you."

"Syd."

"I know." She tells Daryl.

"I'm going back for him and the bag of guns."

Sydney started walking away causing Daryl to watch her. Lee shook his head as he hated the sexual tension between his two friends. He wants to say something, but doesn't. "Mom."

"Honey, keep reading. I'm just going to gather things to wash clothes."

He nodded as Daryl walked over. "Hey." She looked at him. "I'll be going to get my brother." He tells her. "Need anything?"

"No." She tells him. "Just those guns Rick was talking about."

Daryl nodded as he kissed her head before going to his tent. Sydney shook her head as she continued to gather things.
~~~
Tommy was reading later that day when Daryl took a seat beside him. "Tommy." He looked up. "Keep your mom safe."

"I will."

Daryl messed his hair up before going to the car to get his brother back. Tommy looked back at his book and continued to read. "Tommy, want to play." He heard Carl.

"Sure."

Sydney smiled as she saw her son putting everything in the tent before playing with Carl. She just hopes that everything will be fine on Daryl's trip back to the city.