chapter 12

There was only a month left before the delivery, according to the Omega specialist. Given the potential risks with twins, Childe was given strict instructions to not strain himself too hard in this last part.

Which left the Harbinger quite frustrated.

He lay in bed or on the couch most days, his big belly causing him to have to waddle around more and more. Walking hurt his feet anyway.

Getting out of bed slowly, he waddled over to their closet and got out of his nightgown. In a mirror, he saw his frame, his big belly hanging low, a little lower than before. Was it a sign?

A decisive kick to the bladder reminded him to go to the bathroom. He groaned, as he'd gone less than thirty minutes before. The act of walking around made his belly feel tight and achy, similar to cramps after a heat. The doctor assured him this was completely normal and not a sign of labor, but he wasn't entirely convinced.

As the due date got closer, and the reality that he would birth the children inside him became clearer and clearer, Childe felt anxious. He didn't think he was ready. He wanted more time to be pregnant, so he could mentally prepare for the birth. The Omega specialist said it could happen any day, not necessarily on the due date, so his anxiety only grew with each day.

He tried meditation, tried resting, tried reading or writing, but his anxiety about birth never truly went away. Especially when Zhongli was at work.

"Childe, Rex- Zhongli told me to assist you if you needed," Xiao said, concerned. "You look..."

"What? In pain? Constipated? Like my womb has two nearly ready babies kicking around in it!?" Childe snapped. "Get out of the bathroom! Let me piss in peace!"

"I was going to say in pain, but constipated works too. I'll stand outside the door then."

Childe sighed in relief. Xiao meant well, but he sometimes appeared at bad times. At least he took over most of Pasha's care, while he couldn't even lean down without difficulty.

After he was done, Xiao brought a new nightgown.

"I'm not gonna go back to bed," Childe mumbled.

"Zhongli says you didn't sleep last night, and told me to make sure you get rest," Xiao stated bluntly.

"I can't sleep because I constantly have to pee!"

"Then you should spend some more time resting. I'll cook you something to eat."

Childe waddled back to bed and flopped on it, the frame creaking under the weight of him and his children. They kicked on his taught belly, their feet visibly distending his skin.

Xiao came back with some Almond Tofu, and was mildly disturbed by the scene.

"They're...certainly active," Xiao said.

"Yup. They definitely take after me," Childe laughed. "You wanna touch? Just do it slowly, so you don't trigger me."

Xiao gently brought his hand to the rounded mound, and gave it a slight rub. He gasped as he felt fluttering kicks just beneath his hand.

"They like you," Childe giggled. "Actually, I want to ask you something. If anything were to happen to me, or Zhongli, would you be able to protect these two little ones? This is a personal request, separate from your loyalty to Rex Lapis. It's a personal request. You can reject it if you want."

"Of course," Xiao answered with no hesitation. "I'll protect them with my life."

"Thank you. You can be their uncle. Or cousin. Which do you like better?"