14

"Okay, let's do the rundown. Where are diapers?" Childe said, hands on his hips.

"Nursery in the cabinet drawer, living room, our room," Zhongli dutifully replied.

"Powder formula!"

"In the kitchen, close to the stove."

"Toys!"

"Nursery."

"Blankets!"

"Also nursery."

"If anything goes wrong?"

"Find you or call Xiao to help."

"Good! Everything's in order."

"Do we really have to do this for every time you leave? You're only going to buy groceries."

"Anything could happen. It's important to know where things are when you need them in a pinch! That's what my Momma always said!"

Zhongli sighed. "Be safe. Come home soon." He bounced Jinhai in his arms gently, and rocked a sleeping Chunhua in a padded basket. Childe waved goodbye to all three of them and went to go buy the groceries. He let out a huge sigh. He had a moment of time to just breathe, no babies to take care of. Almost on autopilot, he bought all the necessary fruits, veggies, meat, and baby supplies. Halfway back, he felt something throb inside him. Something he hadn't felt for almost a year.

"Fuck..." he cursed, trying pick up the pace. His heat. He'd been so focused on childcare he hadn't thought about his cycle. What was Zhongli going to do if he was gonna be unavailable for nearly a week? What would his babies do?

Getting back home, he stumbled in, thoroughly soaked with sweat and slick. "Zhongli!" He cried out. "Need help!"

Zhongli rushed in without the babies. "What's-"

"No! Go back to the babies!"

"They're asleep! They're fine!"

Childe sobbed. He didn't want his heat this soon. Zhongli's Alpha scent muddied his thoughts, replacing them with the need to be filled again, to breed.

"Zhongli..." he gasped. His tummy felt so empty, he wanted it full of babies again...

Babies...

The babies!

"Please..." Childe gasped. "...the Adepti...they can help with the babies...contact them..."

"Yes. Yes. I'll do just that. Are you able to get to our room?"

"Yeah, I can..."

Childe walked over slowly, closed the door to their bedroom, and stripped completely naked. His body was so hot, so needy, but he didn't want to get pregnant so soon after having his twins. He hoped Zhongli understood.

Guilt crashed into him almost as hard as his arousal. A week. An entire week, he'd be unable to care for his children, except in minor ways and specific times. He was missing out on bonding time with his babies! If he wasn't a terrible mother already, this just cemented it. He tried so hard to bond with them, but it just wasn't happening! He screamed in frustration.

The sound of infant cries answered him. He'd gone and woken them up again. Just terrific. Zhongli had two angry babies and a heat-drunk wife to care for. He felt awful for leaving him to take care of things alone.

It was just like those weeks, those months, after his baby died. He left Zhongli alone to pick up the pieces. He was doing the exact same shit. This time he wasn't just hurting Zhongli, he was hurting their children.