Bad Ending: Vao Dusty Branwen

This is the Bad Ending of The Bird and the Garden.

In this chapter, Y/N chooses to leave Vao and proceed to Salem alone. He comes to accept Vao has changed forever, and is not worth saving. He leaves Vao's reality without doing anything, leaving Vao to suffer the effects of Salem's Blood.

As you can all probably imagine, it's not a good thing. This chapter is not Canon to the story. It is simply what would have happened if Y/N had chosen not to save Vao.

Enjoy.

...

The pressure was relived from Vao's throat as Y/N pulled the dagger away. The soul stared at him, distraught and in disbelief. "Y-Y/N... What are you d-doing...?" He whimpered. "Please, just kill me... Kill me...!"

Vao was begging to die. It was what he wanted more than anything, at the peak of his corruption. But Y/N couldn't bring himself to do it. The hero shook his head, looking down at his brother with pity.

"... No. I won't kill you," he replied quietly. He couldn't find it in himself to care about Vao anymore. He no longer felt the rage he had before. Seeing Vao's soul being tormented by his actions was more than enough. But he couldn't find it in himself to bother saving him, either. "Just... Stay away from my family, Vao. Don't ever come back. Don't ever try to be in my life again."

Y/N turned around, facing Ruby and Summer. He tossed the dagger at them, the weapon landing on the ground. "He's not even worth my time. It's... It's time I move on, right?"

Summer looked at him sadly. "... Thank you, Y/N... For not killing him..."

The hero waved her off. "It's nothing. I guess... I'll see you guys when I die, right?"

Ruby nodded. "A-and hopefully that's not for a while..." She laughed nervously. Y/N chuckled.

"Don't jinx me, now." Using his magic, he began to glow. Vao's Reality began to fade away, disappearing before his eyes and leaving Vao to suffer.

...

Y/N woke up on the rooftop, the wind howling around him. Not far away was Vao, collapsed on the ground. He hadn't healed completely, his Aura overworking itself to mend his injuries. Y/N just huffed, turning towards the doors that led to Salem.

"... Goodbye, Vao. When this is all over, I'm sending Atlas your way. They want to make your execution public," he said just loud enough for his brother to hear him. "The whole world is eager to see you die. Everyone. But me, I can't really care anymore. This has gone on long enough. You can try to escape, or accept your death. It doesn't matter to me. I'll let you decide." The hero began to walk away, lighting a cigarette. As he began to focus his Semblance on healing his own wounds, he didn't hear Vao getting up.

SLASH!

Y/N's eyes widened when his body was cut at the waist, falling to the ground. His Semblance faltered and failed, leaving him staring at his own legs that collapsed soon after. He looked up, meeting the single eye of Vao.

It was a miracle he could even stand. Or rather, it was a curse. His infamous, signature weapon, Grimm Demise, dripped with a fresh coat of his blood, gleaming in the moonlight. The only thing that gleamed brighter was Vao's sickening, twisted and evil smile. His eye was filled with glee, with an intense pleasure overriding his senses. Y/N didn't have time to even blink. Vao had already leapt on top of him, slamming the blunt end of his weapon against his younger brother's chest, shattering bones and crushing flesh. Y/N could only scream, trying to use his arms to stop his brother. But Vao's weapon was heavy, and Y/N was far too weak to stop it.