Blank space (Lane x Shu)

(I know I said I'll do a Toko x Suoh next, but I completed the surge series and I've kept the Shu x Lane request for too long. Btw, if you're asking why I'm here, I took a short break from studies and here I am!)

"Do you think you would be able to handle my flare?"

"I do."

Maybe he was right after all.

Because it was only him who stayed by my side, no matter how evil I turned. At least 97% of my new flare was credited to him. Valt's way of fighting must have lit a little spark in me, and those twins' flares must have inspired me, but it was his last push and never ending coaching and concern which made me the better blader that I'm now. Guess I had needed him more than I let out. The blank space I always have felt little more bearable with him. The same blank space which kills me inside, just because I couldn't figure what it is.

The first time we met, he saw that I was very less sociable to other people. And no matter how hard he tried to make me get my own friends, I would never end up having one. So in the end, he did the unexpected.

"Lane."

I turned. He looked at me and smiled.

"Seems like you have difficulty at making new friends-"

"I think we already discussed that." I said coldly. His smile faded for a split second, but it was back.

"Yes, I was thinking of it and I thought-"

"You're just my blading coach!" I said a little louder, but it made him flinch, "You have no right to decide who I be friends with or not! Got it!?"

He remained silent, and after a minute, when he still hadn't uttered a word, I turned my back on him and continued staring at my bey. After a while, I felt movement and knew he was going away. So in his absence, I decided to practice.

Exhausted from a whole 3 hours of practice, I sat at my usual place and panted, still staring at my less than a week old evolved Lucifer, until a small squeak caught my attention.

I raised my head to see a rather adorable hedgehog sitting a few feet away from me. It sniffed the air slightly before racing up to me and climbing my hand to my shoulder and snuggling inside my fur coat. I smiled and petted it's head and it responded back happily by leaning on. We both just stayed like that for a while until a rather odd question popped into my mind. What is a hedgehog doing here? I turned my head slightly to see him leaning against the wall and smiling at the scene of me and the little creature together. Of course, I thought, Who else would bring in a hedgehog just because their student doesn't have any friends? Shu Kurenai would.

"Lane."

Oh. Lane turned to see his one and only coach Shu Kurenai staring at him as he zoned out during practice. Lucifer The End was already outside the stadium with a ring out finish and the purplette didn't even notice. World Spriggan was spinning ever so energetically around the stadium, impatient as his opponent was not at all concentrated.

"What's wrong, Lane?" The albino asked. Lane just looked away. He have been zoning out too much these days thinking about Shu and everything he have done for him. Why he didn't know.

Ring.

Shu's phone rung loudly, echoing through the room. The excused himself and took the call. Lane noticed Shu's smiled and happy remarks. After a few minutes, he cut the call.

"W-who was that?" Lane blurted out. Shu looked at him and smiled.

"Just an old student of mine. We've been off contact for a while, so he'll be coming to meet me in a few hours."