Chapter 21 | Butterflies

It's you.

It has always been you.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Two weeks later

A scream pierced the night as Kocho finished off the demon before her, she quietly sheathed her blade and dusted her haori. The air she breathed out left a trace of white mist, and she rubbed her hands together trying to counter the cold air.

It was currently 3am in the morning, and she had just finished off the two week mission she had been assigned to.

Looking up at the starry sky above her, she smiled. How long has it been since she went on a solo mission? She supposed it had been years. Thinking back, she found it funny that she never used to be scared of going on solo missions. Afterall, the worst thing that could happen to her is that she would get killed.

But things were different now. She had things to lose, and she had people who were waiting for her safe return. When she received notice of the mission two weeks ago as soon as she arrived back at the estate, it was undeniable that she felt pang of panic. What if she died? What if she never got to create a family with the man she loved so dearly? She still remembered the confusion on Tomioka's face as he wondered why he wasn't summoned to fight alongside of her, they had been going on missions for 3 years together after all.

Well, she was glad that the mission was over.

"I hope he didn't do anything stupid while I was away" she muttered but the fondness in her eyes gave her away, she made her way back to the closest Wisteria House for the night with a little skip in her step.

Tomorrow. They would finally be back in each other's arms, tomorrow.

❀❀❀

Meanwhile, an ongoing argument had been occurring back at the estate.

"You can't be serious" Iguro looked at the design for the ring Tomioka held in his hand.

"What?" Tomioka looked back at him, confused.

"Gold. Really?" A gruff voice appeared behind the two, Shinazugawa looked at the design and frowned "Kocho doesn't seem like a gold type of person"

"Yeah I agree," Iguro looked at the Water Pillar "silver would be so much better"

"Trust him, he has a wife" Shinazugawa added, scowling at the piece of paper in Tomioka's hand.

"But the lady at the shop said-"

"Don't trust the lady at the shop" the two said in unison.

"......"

"What's going on here?" just as Tomioka was thinking about going back to the store and asking for a different design, a cheerful voice appeared behind them.

Uzui walked over and before Tomioka could react, grabbed the piece of paper in his hands to take a look.

"Is this..." he frowned and looked at the group who nodded in response.

He scrunched his face up in disgust "Gold? What, are you marrying an old lady? I bought all three of my wives silver rings. Trust me, young girls would like silver more. More youthful you know."

"Also, don't trust the lady at the shop."

"Ok, ok, I get the point everyone." The Water Pillar turned around to return to the shop, but not before bumping into a certain pink haired girl.

"Giyu! Is that the ring design?? Let me see!" Tomioka groaned as the paper left his hands (again).

Mitsuri burst out laughing "Gold? Giyu, silver will look nicer with the design you're going for! I hope you haven't paid the lady at the shop yet" she leaned in and whispered "you shouldn't trust the lady at the shop, go with what you think is best"