Chapter 56

Fitz knocked on the door.

"Come on in." Kester was getting ready to initiate a plan that once set into motion would be impossible to reverse. He hadn't talked with Rowan to see how she would feel about involving some of her family members, but he didn't see any way around it. She needed them right now, and if he didn't start shoring up some of these allies, his pack wouldn't just suffer some consequences. They'd be wiped out.

"Who we startin' with?" Fitz knew what was happening. The wolves had lived peacefully under Kester for nearly twenty-five years. It took a lot for an alpha lycan to ask for help, but Kester hadn't even thought twice about it. He'd always put his pack before his pride which is what made him one of the best pack masters.

"Deisha. She's a fierce protector and a force to be reckoned with. Having her involved will give both Vertigen and Declan pause. She'll want to protect Rowan anyway. I think she's waiting to hear from her." Kester's eyes were focused on the door.

"You think?" Fitz wanted to be sure.

"She never agreed with Rowan's parents when they made the decision to leave her in the human world. She's had her people looking for Rowan ever since her parents gave her away. She's the reason Karita, Maeve and Raine were assigned to her to begin with. I'm sure she has more than one team working to find Rowan even now. I just can't confirm who, and we need to know who's on our side. Rowan is familiar with these women. It's a place to start at least." Kester picked up the phone.

Fitz took up a seat on the sofa, "What do you want me to do?"

"Be my second set of ears. I'll put everyone on speaker and let's see if we both draw the same conclusions about these people and their motives. While you're listening. I need to know about these women. Contact our people, but nothing that would give out any real intel. We don't know who's watching or listening."

"Understood." He listened to Kester's heavy sigh as he dialed Deisha and got the ball rolling.

"Deisha? It's Kester and be careful what you say next. We're not sure if this is a secure line." He waited to hear the intonation in her response, trying to read her true emotions.

"Everything okay?" Deisha's voice was anxious waiting for his reply.

"Yeah. Did you hear what happened?" Kester geared himself up to fend for Rowan's actions.

"My people are very thorough. I am well informed. She's protecting herself. It's important she meet with me, Kester. She's powerful, but that kind of power is easily manipulated by stronger creatures." Deisha was trying to restrain her emotions, but she was growing more excited over the possibility of finally speaking with her niece.

"Vertigen was there. Did you know that?"

Panic set it. "No! She can't allow him to get to close to her. He could take her away from here, hide her in a place where we would never find her. I need to take her off realm now. She needs to know how to protect herself."

"We need to meet." Kester knew she would agree to this. Deisha had been protecting innocents since as far back as he could remember. She was just like her grandmother, Willa.

"I'll call my father. No one has seen her. We were waiting for someone to contact us. She has my number, but after what her parents have done, I never truly expected her to use it." Deisha still hated Lepleya, for this. Some things were absolutely unforgivable.

"Thank you. Call Olian and Etain. She is integral in all of this, and she has nowhere to go except to you Deisha. But, we have to tread carefully, or we will lose her. Pride is her middle name, it's all she's ever had. Vertigen isn't the only one hunting her." He didn't want to give too much away in case anyone was listening. "She can't stay in this realm Deisha."