; all time low "future hearts" album review

All Time Low has been one of my favorite bands for years. They honestly have a little something for everyone, whether you're a Top 40 fan or a punk rocker. Sometimes certain albums will have a more dominant sound than others, but either way, you can't go wrong with this band. I've been looking forward to "Future Hearts" for what feels like ages; when I read an article last year about the most anticipated albums of 2015 and I saw ATL on there, I nearly cried of happiness. It used to feel like just yesterday that "Don't Panic" was released, but hearing news of more ATL music made me realize that it's been almost two years (which in hindsight is a long time).

                So, in celebration of more amazing All Time Low music, I figured what better album to review first than this one? I hope you all consider giving the album a listen, even if you have never listened to the band before. If anyone is curious about how I feel about their other albums, let me know and I can review those too. It'd actually be super fun.

                Well, without further ado...

01: SATELLITE - 7.5/10

                I think that this song might have been better off as an album closer than an album opener. I wouldn't call it a slow song or a ballad, but it definitely isn't very fast-paced, and it sort of has an anthemic, movie finale sort of feel to it. A lot of people aren't huge fans of it, and granted I'm not going to go out of my way to add it to any of my playlists any time soon, but I actually enjoyed it a lot. The angsty early teen inside of me loves a good hopeless track, and that's exactly what this one is. Again, not album opener material in my opinion, but I think it belonged on an album (perhaps not this one, though - up for debate). Favorite lyrics: Growing up with eyes glued shut.

02: KICKING AND SCREAMING - 9/10

                This song would be a much better album opener than Satellite was. I think it's a lot more reminiscent of All Time Low's "Nothing Personal" album (a favorite of mine) in terms of the chorus; I can hear Lost In Stereo and Stella in there for sure. This is a fun listen. Guaranteed this summer it'll be one of the many from this album making the cut for my mixed CD to blast in my truck with the windows down. It's not my favorite, but in the song's defense, "Future Hearts" has too many gems to choose from. But if you're a fan of the "Nothing Personal" album, I guarantee you'll enjoy this song. Favorite lyrics: Fantasy competes to be my only / I'm f*cking lonely.

03: SOMETHING'S GOTTA GIVE - 9.5/10

                When I first this song a few days after its release, part of me was disappointed. Looking back now, though, to whenever that was, I have no idea why. This track sounds like it came straight out of "Dirty Work," which is another album I've always loved (it wasn't everyone's cup of tea, however). I'm hearing bits of That Girl and I Feel Like Dancing, and just like the latter, I think it was a perfect first single. It's definitely one of, if not the, most pop-oriented song on the album, and that's fine. For ATL fans who have always preferred a punkier sound over a pop one, I wouldn't be surprised if this was a big fat disappointment. I happen to enjoy both sounds, no matter which one is dominant. Also the music video was fabulous. Favorite lyrics: I'm a cliché in a song / And everybody's singing along.

04: KIDS IN THE DARK - 10/10

                I loved this song the first time I listened to it, and I love it after the twentieth time. It's relatable, it's beautiful, and it's one of biggest anthems that ATL has ever produced. It's the Reckless and the Brave of "Future Hearts," and that might be one of the reasons I fell for it so quickly. Honestly, every single lyric shouts at you and echoes for hours after you finish listening to it, and this sounds crazy, but I swear you come away a better person from hearing it (you may hear something like that again; there are a couple tracks on this album that have the same effect). Sometimes songs have super powerful choruses and then mediocre verses (or the other way around), but this isn't one of them. The entire thing, from start to finish, is a powerhouse. And the music video makes me want to party forever and forget about everything that's ever cracked me. Favorite lyrics: So let the world sing / What a shame, what a shame / Beautiful scars on critical veins.