; halsey "badlands" album review

To anyone looking for an incredible story about an incredible, heartbreaking, terrifying journey, I recommend looking no further than Halsey's debut album BADLANDS. What a wild ride. I had the pleasure of getting to know Halsey through her EP Room 93, which featured five tracks – two of which made it onto BADLANDS – that proved Halsey was going to be a force to be reckoned with. Apart from that EP, the only other evidence I had of her talent were some live performances of unreleased songs (such as a track called "Colors"), but it was all enough for me; I purchased two tickets to see her perform in Columbus this October for myself and one of my roommates. I didn't need to hear BADLANDS to know it was going to be stunning, and now that it is released, I've realized that 'stunning' is the Mt. Everest of understatements.

         I don't know that Halsey is for everyone, as much as I wish she could be. Her lyrics are harsh and raw and bone-chilling, and she doesn't hold back. She had a story to tell, and with BADLANDS she finally got to do that. I hope you all love this album as much as I did. Here are my thoughts:

01: CASTLE – 9/10

         I felt that, after having read the lyrics for this song, I understood what it was about: Halsey was gaining popularity in a man's world. I have no idea if I'm right or not, but either way, you'll get that general gist as well when you listen to it and pay attention. When this track opens the album, you are in the badlands. The ominous choir vocals before Halsey begins the chorus every time combined with industrial music (is that even a thing?) allows you to visualize a type of setting. Your badlands will be different from hers, but Halsey has experienced things many of us will probably never understand, as this album will show us. But with songs like this one, we might be able to get sort of close to an understanding. Pay attention to the sound effects in every track from here on out to be able to place yourself into a setting, because Halsey isn't going to hold back. Welcome to the Badlands. Favorite lyrics: Now my neck is open wide / begging for a fist around it / Already choking on my pride / so there's no use crying about it.

02: HOLD ME DOWN – 10/10

         This was truthfully the first song by Halsey I'd ever heard, and I probably recommend that it be the first song by her that anyone hear. It was released much earlier than this album was, and sometimes I wonder if I'd ever gotten into her had I not fallen in love with this song. Despite the song's up-tempo beat, pay attention to the lyrics; this is not a happy song. Halsey mentions her "demons" a lot, and we can assume she is talking about her mental illness(es?). And I mean, I could pick apart all of the lyrics for you and tell you exactly what I think this song is about, but if you listen closely enough and read the lyrics for what they are, you should be able to figure them out yourself. And it's sort of heartbreaking. What a day in the badlands, hey? Favorite lyrics: I sold my soul to a three-piece / and he told me I was holy / He's got me down on both knees / but it's the devil that's tryin'a hold me down.

03: NEW AMERICANA – 10/10

         Along with "Hold Me Down", I consider this track a 'Halsey Beginners Song' as it's an easier listen for anyone just starting to listen to her. "New Americana" is anthemic and musically (and lyrically, and vocally..) very strong. It's about our generation, the one coming into adulthood now and the way we've been raised – how we differ from the generation before us and probably the one after us as well. You cannot go wrong with this song. Even if you don't particularly enjoy the rest of Halsey's music, you'll probably dig this song. I was blown away the first time I heard it, and honestly I'm still blown away every time I've listened to it since. It speaks for itself. Favorite lyrics: Young James Dean / some say he looks just like his father / but he / could never love somebody's daughter.