; ed sheeran "divide" album review

Does anyone remember when Multiply came out and like, "Thinking Out Loud" and "Photograph" and "Sing" and "Don't" were the best things that had ever happened to you ever and you couldn't believe you lived on the same planet as someone as obscenely talented as Ed Sheeran? Because I do. And here I am again.

         I can literally picture myself hearing Multiply for the first time all the way through and being absolutely blown away. Honestly I don't think I ever expected Ed to top that. "Take It Back" and "I'm A Mess" were works of ART, guys. And they were only the beginning, because holy roses he has done it again, only on an entire other level. A level that did not previously exist.

         I won't waste your time with much more rambling because I can't wait to talk about this. Just know that none of these are first listens, because I did some traveling today and absolutely had to listen to it during the trip (more than once).

         Also, my roommate Maria, who you may remember from my Couples Therapy post, is doing this album review with me! She already wrote down her thoughts and ratings, so I'm just going to be copying and pasting what she said about each track. So sit back, relax, put the album on in the background, and enjoy our track-by-track review of the deluxe edition of Divide.

01: ERASER – 8.5 (ME), 8.56 (MARIA)

         Me: So the first time I heard this song was when he did it live for whatever reason. Someone had posted lyrics on Tumblr and I remember reading them and feeling my stomach sink (though I'm pretty sure that live version is quite different from this one? Correct me if I'm wrong here). They're so sad when you really listen to them, though the verse that I found saddest didn't make the recorded version. Probably a good thing as far as my heart is concerned. I'm also pretty convinced that whenever he says the word "eraser" he means for it to sound like "a razor" which...*cries.* Anyway, very interesting way to begin the album. Not sure I'd have chosen this one for that if it were up to me, but it's not, and Ed has a way about him that I trust completely so it is what it is. My favorite lyric: And when the world's against me is when I really come alive.

         Maria: Incredible, honestly sounds like a rant where you're pouring your soul out and finally after years of holding it all in you're able to get it out (with killer background guitar). This chorus thoughhhhhhh. Favorite lyric: Where I'm heading who knows. My heart will stay the same.

02: CASTLE ON THE HILL – 9.5 (ME), 9 (MARIA)

         Me: The second I heard this song I knew I was going to love it. The opening music made me want to be in my old truck with the windows rolled down in Wisconsin's late spring. Honestly, the entire song reminds me of being home back when things were easy there and I didn't want to get away. It was like, compared to "Shape Of You," this really felt like the Ed Sheeran from Multiply even though it doesn't even sound very similar to anything from that album. It just feels very freeing. And his little high-pitched notes at the end of the choruses...God help me. My favorite lyric: But these people raised me, and I can't wait to go home.

         Maria: Literally reminded me of Carissa and her home town. You really feel the community just from his lyrics and they touch you. Favorite lyric: But these people raised me, and I can't wait to go home.

03: DIVE – 9 (ME), 9 (MARIA)

         Me: I know that Ed said "Perfect" was the "Thinking Out Loud" of this album, but I gotta say that he's wrong? Like, it's not about the same thing; I wouldn't play this at my wedding or anything. But as far as soulful vocals you want to sing in the shower or at strangers through the windows of your vehicle, this one definitely shares the same spotlight as "Thinking Out Loud." Even the beat is similar. And to be totally honest, if I had been the one arranging the tracks on this album, I'd have opened it with this and put "Eraser" as number three. It's not that I think "Eraser" would turn people away, I just think this one would pull people right in. It's just so wonderful and soulful and strong. My favorite lyric: I've been known to give my all and jumping in harder than 10,000 rocks on the lake.