; panic! at the disco "death of a bachelor" album review

In a somewhat interesting turn of events, the end of 2015 brought on a new love for me that I never allowed myself the pleasure of experiencing before: Panic! at the Disco – or, more specifically, the poetic master of the English language, Brendon Urie.

                  A few years ago around a time many would consider Panic!'s peak, another band was living their hay day. That band would be My Chemical Romance, and if you remember anything from that point in time, it was that liking both MCR and P!ATD at the same time was simply unacceptable. You had to choose. And because I found My Chemical Romance first, I didn't even give Panic! a second thought. Sure, "I Write Sins Not Tragedies" was a fantastic song, but that was the only song I was allowed to like by them.

                  Like, I thought being a fan of One Direction was tough, but then I remember that dark time in my past when I wasn't allowed to enjoy any other band of a similar genre to MCR or I was betraying them in the deepest, most intimate way possible, and then I'm pretty grateful for the lesser of the two evils.

                  It wasn't just My Chem's fandom, of course. Panic!'s was the same way. They were allowed to like maybe two MCR songs, though, while we only were allowed the one Panic! song (if you're wondering which two MCR songs Panic! fans could enjoy, they were "Teenagers" and "Welcome to the Black Parade"...obviously). Life was really hard back then, guys. Be grateful you didn't live that.

                  So anyway, now that the love of my life has broken up and stopped making new music and most of the fandom has grown up and only has time to be bitter about scams on the internet falsely claiming MCR is getting back together, I've had the freedom to finally play catch up with Panic! at the Disco just in time for them to release their new album, Death of a Bachelor. When "Hallelujah," the album's first single, was released, I loved it right away. Keep in mind that this was only, like, the third or fourth Panic! song I'd ever heard, so I didn't really know where to go from there. Fast forward a few months and I happened to come across a few more songs thanks to advice from a friend (these songs included "Miss Jackson," which I discovered I'd heard before on the radio, "Ballad of Mona Lisa," and "Nine in the Afternoon"). A monster was born.

                  What really solidified it was the day that I saw something on Tumblr about Brendon releasing another song from the new album (at this time, we didn't know the album was called Death of a Bachelor, I just knew that that was what the song was called). Except that he didn't really release it, it was just featured on a TV show or something and he was telling anyone who wanted to download it to rip it off of YouTube. Which is exactly what I did. And when I finally found it, I honestly thought I wasn't hearing the right song. It sounded nothing like the other Panic! stuff I'd heard up until that point, but I literally fell in love.

                  The rest is history, and here I am with a review of Brendon's most recent work of art. It's been nearly a month since the album's release, but I had to have the full of experience (by that I mean play it and only it for the last month, with the exception of a few songs from Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die). So here we go!