21. Flash Thompson

I tried my best not to let Peter's words get to me

I tried my best not to let Peter's words get to me. But since last night when he told me that everyone who loves Peter Parker dies, I haven't been able to shake this bone-chilling feeling. I tried to tell him that it simply wasn't true because May is still alive and there's other people in the world including myself who really care about him, but he refused to listen.

There was no point in arguing, so I left it at a simple 'goodnight' and went to bed. 

Getting up for work this morning proved to be much easier than yesterday, and I think it has something to do with the fact that Peter revealed to me this morning that Kingpin isn't planning anything for the next few days.

How he knows this is something I don't even want to begin to ask him, but he seemed pretty certain that Kingpin's not doing anything for the moment. He did however say he can sense that he's planning something big.

I thought about asking him what the hell he meant, but then I remembered it's the whole spider sense thing that really just makes me super confused. I want to see it happen before I fully believe in it, but the way he described it seemed like it's really just when you have this gut feeling but stronger. 

Still, I let myself be relieved for the time being.

Now, I'm at work sorting through some old papers to find reference pictures of Spider-Man in his debut days. Bushkin insisted I do some more research before I continue shooting pictures of Spider-Man, so I just obliged and went into the now existent file room located in the corner of Bushkin's office.

This is what they decided to do with the papers he kept lying around, and it's smart, I'll admit. Now if anything happens, we'll just bolt into this closet space and pray to God that years' worth of newspapers will protect all of us instead of just Deedee.

Then again, he did say that the walls are much thicker because of how easily the bullet holes penetrated the walls over a week ago. 

All of the newspapers I had piled up consisted of something about Spider-Man, even an article trying to decipher how the hell Spider-Man came to be. That article made me smirk, because they're nowhere even close to home.

That's something that I enjoy about this job and knowing Peter Parker; I have the insight. I have the information and juicy details about what's going on out there, and now that Peter and I are just friends, it'll be easier to communicate. 

Finally deciding I've gathered enough to begin my research to help everyone create the perfect Spider-Man article, I picked up my stack and walked out of the room. 

Bushkin smiled at me, seeming to be pleased with the multitude of papers I've aligned for myself. Exiting his office, I began walking towards this sort of lunch or break area that I'd discovered earlier trying to find April.

I still didn't find her, but I found this great area for me to just read and be alone. 

I'd do it in Bushkin's office, but the man likes to burp at inappropriate times and make weird comments like he's thinking out loud. Trust me, I tried it about an hour ago. I guess he knew that I was getting uncomfortable and that's why he sent me to do this instead.