Chapter 6: Richelle

I'm looking around at the other dancers and I'm fairly disgusted. Some of these dancers aren't even good enough to be accepted into baby ballet. One dancer just leaped past me on all fours. Even distracted, I'm feeling pretty confident.

But that doesn't mean I'm ok being distracted. I can't get Amy's voice out of my head. "Are you sure they're just ... acquaintances?" I shake my head. I don't have time for this. I go from the start again. Hands out and away, reach up, pull to the side, turn, jump and click. "Are you sure they're just ... acquaintances?" I mess up the landing slightly. Annoyed, I start again. I stick the landing, then work my way through a tutting section. It looks fine but it could be cleaner. I'm about to start into a freestyle section when Amy taps me on the shoulder. "Hey, do you have a minute" she asks. I glare at her, she ignores me. "I just wanted to say that I'm sorry about earlier, you know, the whole are you sure they're just acquaintances thing. Whatever's going on between Noah, and Jacquie, and you, is none of my business. I'm really sorry." "It's fine. Don't worry about it." I say. I give her a half smile, which makes her smile. "Good luck" she says, bouncing back over to Piper. I take a breath, trying to focus again. "Are you sure they're just ... acquaintances?" Great. I'm so focused.

I catch Emily coming over to me out of the corner of my eye. "Hey Richelle. How's my favourite dancer?" "Very excited." I force a laugh. "Great speech by the way." "Thanks" said Emily. "I don't think West would agree but everyone else at least pretended to listen. How're you and Noah?" "Oh, you know. Great!" I force a layer of cheer onto the lie. Emily pauses for a moment. "Okay, I think emotions aren't for us" she says. "Agreed. Let's keep things professional" I say. An alarm on Emily's phone goes off. "Times up" she says. "Time to get these auditions started." She turns to leave but hesitates. "You can still come talk to me though" she says. "About anything." I nod and she turns away. I close my eyes, and picture making A troupe. I'm not sure visualising success will help, but I'll do anything to get onto A troupe. It doesn't work though. Instead, I just hear Amy's voice. "Are you sure they're just ... acquaintances?"