02 | THE NEW KID

─────── °∘∘♡∘∘° ───────

Nina and Kourtney slipped into their desks in homeroom just as the late bell rang. "See, Kourt? Right on time,"

"We had to sprint the last fifty feet," Kourtney huffed as she settled into her seat. Before Nina could respond, the teacher, Mr Mazzara, approached her.

"You must be my new senior," he said. "Why don't you introduce yourself to everyone?"

Nina stood to find thirty pairs of eyes staring at her. "Hi," she said, trying to feign at least a little confidence. "I'm Nina, and I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys," she smiled and waved. One of the boys in the corner waved back.

"Hi, Nina,"

She smiled at him gratefully as she slipped back in her seat. She tried to study her class schedule as Mr Mazzara took attendance for the rest of the class, but her mind kept wandering back to Richard. She was just wondering if he'd be in any of her classes, when, as if on cue, she glanced up to find Richard's bright smile beaming at her... through the classroom TV.

"Good morning, East High!" he said cheerfully. He was sitting at a desk with another boy in front of a green screen that showed a picture of the school. "That's right, the powers that be are letting me and Big Red make the morning announcements for another year. It's honor to serve, isn't it, Red-bird?"

"Uh, what're we serving?" the other boy asked.

"Scintillating school announcements and piping hot puff pieces," Richard answered, his smile never leaving his face. "Starting with an exclusive interview with East High's newest student, Nini Salazar-Roberts,"

Nina's jaw dropped as her face filled the screen. He didn't. She could feel the other kids in her class looking at her curiously. She nudged Kourtney. "I can't believe he put me in the morning announcements."

"That's Richard Bowen for you," Kourtney said, an expression on her face Nina hadn't learned to read.

"What does that mean?" she asked. "Why would he do that?" Secretly, she hoped Kourtney would respond the way a best friend in a movie would, "He probably likes you."

But all she got was a nonchalant "Richard's always got a camera following him around, usually his own. Don't read anything into it." she took one look at the expression Nina wore and snickered. "Okay, I know that face. It's the 'Richard Bowen is so swoony and dreamy look. It's a very common expression around here."

"Are you saying I don't have a shot with him?"

"I'm saying you don't want a shot with him," Kourtney said. "Richard's a great guy, he's friendly, he's funny, he's super popular. But he also comes with about eight HBO seasons of drama. Trust me, you're better off focusing on college,"

"But you know how much I love Game of Thrones," Nina said teasingly.

"Even after the finale?" Kourtney raised her eyebrows.

"Ahem," Mr Mazzara coughed and the two girls turned their attention back to the front of the room, Kourtney's advice playing through her mind as the morning announcements continued.

"And don't forget to stop by the students club fair all this week," Richard was saying as they signed off.

┌─────── ∘°∘♡∘°∘ ───────┐

└─────── °∘∘♡∘∘° ───────┘

this book isnt going to be updated daily but i figured id do another little one to apologise for making you all wait so long