06 | HOPE SPRINGS

─────── ∘°∘♡∘°∘ ───────

Nina rapped her knuckles on the door of her mom's office, poking her head in. Dana glanced up from a pile of paperwork. "Nini, honey! You got here quick, I thought the bus schedule said you wouldn't be here for another half hour,"

"Actually, this guy I met gave me a ride," Nina and Dana had a very trusting relationship, NIna rarely lying to her mom. Of course, there was the odd little white lie, but things like this didn't phase her, telling her mom the truth.

Dana smiled, a twinkle in her eye. "A cute guy?"

Nina felt herself flush. "Sure, I guess."

"See!" Dana said. "I told you it would only be a matter of time before you met someone nice," she circled something in her notes, already distracted.

Nina held in a sigh. "I should probably find the Hope Springs office. I'll meet you back here so we can go home later?"

"Sounds good. See you later, honey," She raised a hand in goodbye, barely looking up from her paperwork as Nina left. It took a little longer than she would have liked, the hospital being hard to navigate, but eventually Nina found the Hope Springs office. It was completely different from the rest of the building. While her mom's office was all sleek and modern, the color stemming mostly from photographs, the rest of the room black and white, the Hope Springs office was vibrant and cozy. 

"Hi, Miss Jenn?" Nina spoke up to the woman at the desk. "I'm Nina Salazar-Roberts,"

"Nina!" The older woman beamed warmly at her. "Welcome to Hope Springs! I've been expecting you," she motioned for Nina to sit across from her. "Do you know what we do here?"

"My mom said you raise money to help fund procedures for low-income and uninsured patients," Nina said, her inflection going up at the end, she wasn't a hundred percent sure.

But Miss Jenn simply nodded. "Yes! We're very excited for this new partnership at Edenbrook. We've never had offices inside a hospital before," she sounded slightly giddy. "The close proximity to our recipients is already paying dividends. We've been able to help eight patients so far, and we hope to double that number within a few weeks,"

"That's awesome," Nina said honestly. She knew the medical field wasn't for her, but she was glad she could be helping people as much as she could, even if it was just making sure that the people doing the actual helping had their coffee.

"We also have a community outreach and education program," Miss Jenn continued. "That's where you come in. I'm afraid the internet is a bit of a mystery to me. But if you take over our social media pages, it would take a huge weight off my mind!"

Nina nodded eagerly, and Miss Jenn helped her get set up on a computer in the corner of the office with a list of events to promote. She looked over the foundation's barren social media pages, shaking her head. She drafted event announcements for a blood drive and schedules several promotional posts, each one with a new hashtag she made, #StateOfTheHeart.

Nina smiled to herself as she continued down the list. An hour later, she took Miss Jenn through the changes she'd made. "...And I've queued all these posts up so they roll out over the weekend. Now you'll have regular content and better engagement,"

"This is wonderful, Nina! One day and you've already got us in tip-top shape!" Miss Jenn said, Nina feeling pride spread through her chest. She hadn't expected to be tasked with something like this, and the fact that she'd done a good job made her extremely happy. "I think this means you'll be able to handle some more complicated tasks for us in the future. But for now, why don't you go get the lay of the land and meet some of the patients? We've been helping out a young man about your age in room 307,"

"Sure," Nina stood up and shook Miss Jenn's hand. "I'll see you next week,"

┌─────── ∘°∘♡∘°∘ ───────┐

└─────── °∘∘♡∘∘° ───────┘

no ricky in this chapter but he'll be back next chapter i promise