10 | JUST FRIENDS

─────── ∘°∘♡∘°∘ ───────

Nina and Kourtney were walking towards their next class when one of the cheerleaders, Ethan, came up to them. He was tall and blonde with a bright smile. "Hi guys! Are you coming to the Fall Carnival?"

He handed Nina a flyer decorated with yellows, reds and oranges. "What's the Fall Carnival?"

"It's a fundraiser for the Booster Club!" Ethan explained. "The proceeds support all of our fall clubs and sports. Practically the whole school is gonna be there."

"Thanks for the invite, Ethan, but I don't know if we can make it," Kourtney said, a polite smile on her face. "Early acceptance deadlines are coming up, and it's not exactly something you can put on your college apps, you know?"

Nina shushed her. "But is it something we can bring dates to?"

Ethan grinned knowingly. "Absolutely, in fact, it's encouraged," Nina laughed as Ethan winked at her.

"Can you excuse us for a second, Ethan?" Kourtney asked, smile on her face until she'd pulled NIna a few feet away, looking at her with a serious expression. "I know what you're thinking. Don't do it,"

"Do what?" Nina asked innocently.

Kourtney rolled her eyes. "Don't ask Richard Bowen to the Fall Carnival. In fact, if you know what's good for you, you'll stay away from him altogether,"

"Woah," Nina raised her eyebrows at Kourtney's scowl. "What's wrong with Ricky?"

"Nothing's wrong with him..." Kourtney sighed. "He's just not someone you want to get invested in,"

NIna crossed her arms stubbornly. "And why's that?"

"Because Richard doesn't date people," Kourtney said. "He's never had an official girlfriend.... and not for lack of volunteers. I've seen too many girls get their hearts broken because of him. I don't want that to happen to you,"

"Kourt," Nina softened. "Are you speaking from experience?"

Kourtney's eyes widened. "No way. This heart doesn't break for anyone,"

"Are you sure?" Nina pressed. "Because you seem awfully invested in this,"

"Look," Kourtney sighed. "I'm sorry if I'm overstepping. I just don't want you to throw away your senior year away on someone who doesn't feel the same way,"

"Really, you don't have anything to worry about," Nina assured her, placing her hand on Kourtney's arm. "Ricky and I are just friends,"