12 | JUST FRIENDS

─────── °∘∘♡∘∘° ───────

Nina followed the others back to EJ's room. They were joking amongst themselves, but Nina's mind wandered back to the task at hand... the Hope Springs donation video. She probably should've gotten some footage of the wheelchair race. Donors wanted to see happy, layghing kids, right?

"Come in, Nini. I repeat, Nini, do you copy?" she jumped at Ricky's voice. "Where'd you go just now?"

"Sorry, Miss Jenn just gave me a new assignment," she said apoligetically. "And it's really cool, but I don't know where to start,"

"Maybe we can help," EJ offered.

"I'm not that bored," Gina shook her head.

"Don't flex your 'not confined to hospital with potentially fatal cancer' privilege in front of me, Gi. It's rude,"

"Sorry, time bomb," Gina smirked.

"Ooh, a new nickname," EJ said. "Let me guess... because my cancer is a ticking time bomb?"

"Got it in one go," Gina said. "I'm impressed,"

Nina raised her eyebrows at their dark banter. "Did it suddenly get morbid in here, or is it just me?"

"The kid as stage-three liver cancer," Gina pointed out. "When is it not morbid in here?"

Ricky leaned closer to her. "I know it can be weird to listen to them joke about this stuff, but dark humor really does help some people,"

"Kinda like how the wheelchair race helped get the kids' minds of things for a bit," Gina agreed. "Sometimes you have to get creative to survive in here,"

"What's your assignment, Nini?" Ricky asked.

"The foundation board wants me to make a donation video for their new website, something to show off the work they're doing at the hospital," Nina explained. "But I have no idea what to do,"

"Seriously?" Ricky asked. "You don't see the solution literally staring you in the face?" He struck a pose, arms straight in the air and a brilliant smile on his face. "You see it, right? Tell me you see it,"

"I see you looking like a dork," Nina rolled her eyes.

"Well this dork also happens to be an aspiring director!" he gave her jazz hands.

"Ricky thinks he's the next Nolan Grant,"

"...Who?"

"How has he not bored you with his Nolan Grant speech already?" EJ gasped. "He's the guy that directed the Retribution franchise. You know, the horror movies?"

"Directed, wrote, and edited," Ricky corrected. "The man's an auteur!"

"And he's from Utah, so Ricky thinks they have a love connection," Gina said.