11 | JUST FRIENDS

─────── °∘∘♡∘∘° ───────

Nina was on her way to the bus stop when a familiar car pulled up beside her and the window rolled down. "I know you're not about to wait for the bus instead of catching a ride in five-star comfort with me," Ricky smiled up at her.

Nina grinned and climbed into the pasenger seat. "For five stars, I expect some snacks,"

"You're welcome to the gummy bears in my backseat," Ricky glanced at her as he turned down the street. "Why didn't you come find me? I waited for you,"

"I didn't see you today," Nina shrugged. "I didn't wanna presume anything,"

Ricky looked at the sky and shook his head. "I've only been giving her a ride to Edenbrook every week since September, but the girl doesn't want to presume," he laughed. Nina laughed as well, giving his arm a light push.

"I don't want to take advantage of you and your ride, that's all," Nina explained.

"We're going to the same place and I like the company," Ricky pointed out. "Nobody's taking advantage of anyone,"

"Fine, but I'm buying you a milkshake at lunch tomorrow," Nina insisted. Ricky laughed again, the sparkle in his eyes making Nina's stomach flutter.

"Did you hear what happened in AV Club this morning?" Ricky asked her, Nina shaking her head at him. "Well, buckle up, because I have a story for you," he paused after a moment. "And also because of road safety," Nina chuckled and buckled her seatbelt, unable to take her eyes off Ricky's animated face. "Okay, now picture Red squeezing himself into the leopard mascot costume..."

Soon, they were ready to part ways in the hospital atrium. They'd slipped into a comfortable routine over the last few weeks since school started, and Nina could already predict his next question. "I'll try to come by EJ's after work," she answered before he could open his mouth. "It depends when I finish,"

"You know it doesn't matter how late it is," Ricky shrugged. "EJ's not going anywhere, and he likes when you drop by,"

"You sure it's not you who wants to spend time with me?" Nina teased, Ricky winked at her, his smile broadening.

"You caught me," He brushed his hair out of his face and headed off to the pediatric ward with a wave, Nina watched him go. She needed to stop it, Ricky was just a friend.

But she was still smiling to herself as she enteres Miss Jenn's office. Miss Jenn looked up from her paperwork with a warm smile. "Nina! I have exciting news for you! I've told the foundation's board about all the excellent work you've been doing for us this past month, and they're very impressed,"

"Seriously?" Nina gasped. "Thank you so much, Miss Jenn. They were impressed by me?"

"You should give yourself more credit, Nina," Miss Jenn nodded. "You're an impressive young woman. But that's not what has me so excited. The board has approved your next big project!"