chapter twenty one

The last time there was a birthday, it wasn't celebrated the way it should've been. There wasn't a need to celebrate it that way. He wasn't here to celebrate it with us, but his sister was. December was a definite month of differences.

I don't know why in my mind it is so hard to handle. We've never celebrated his birthday as a large group before. Never once did he see the small parties thrown where we all would come together to celebrate another year gained onto someone's life. The sweets and cake Kawaii~Chan would bring, nor how decorations adorned the area. He didn't see all of our excitement.

Vylad wasn't with us for very long, but I knew him before the others.

I wonder if he watched us celebrate with Kandi knowing that it's his birthday too, and he could've been there. That we cared about him enough where we would've thrown a party for both of their honor.

The year before what felt like fifteen minutes for me was the first year I knew Vylad. He was never one for announcing his birthday to me. In his mind, he didn't see the point. He was a walking contradiction. At least, Garroth claims that's what Vylad has described Shadow Knights as being.

When it was the day of his birthday, I kept it simple. He didn't want gifts, and I didn't mind it. I wasn't fond of it, but at that time I didn't know what to get him nonetheless. I still wanted to do something for him, so I went and got a piece of cake from Kawaii~Chan. I didn't think there was a need for a whole cake.

Then, I'd wish him a happy birthday once again and go down to celebrate with the others for Kandi. When the truth spilled out about Garroth's past, that forced out Kandi's identity. I wondered if they knew he was alive. That he was up in those trees. I couldn't help but look around them when it was dark and lie that I was trying to see constellations when I was caught. I wondered what it was like celebrating a birthday knowing it was also your brother's birthday.

Looking back at whatever our relationship was, I've thought about how I've felt. I was angry at him for a good amount of time when I learned of him being a Shadow Knight. I hysterically cried to him one day in the woods about him not telling me. I may not have understood how it all worked, but it would've made it simpler. I was angry that I loved him,, and it was never explained why he couldn't love me back. I told him I would've understood and given up long before I actually did.

But I was also mad at myself. Mad at myself for not knowing. I guess I do that a lot.

Now, it's my birthday. I'm that birthday that's stuck between Cadenza's and Laurance's. Vylad's birthday was in December, and it's March. I think of my birthday as the easiest to be forgotten because of the few month gap where no one else has one.

"I made this for you for your birthday," Nekoette says, smiling at me. She's lost a front tooth recently, and it shows through her smile. She holds up a flower crown made out of Pink Frost and Winter's Bliss lenten roses. I smile at the gift and lift it to place on top of my head. "So you can wear it at your party! Garroth~Kun will think you're sooooo pretty."

I thank Nekoette for the gift and feel my cheeks maintain their original temperature. After a few months of dating, we have managed to overcome blushing at simple things or the mention of one another.

Dimitri cockily smiles at me. His teeth remain intact, unlike his sister's. He'll lose some soon. "You really are getting old. How old are you again?"

Nekoette begins to scold Dimitri for asking for my age and reminds him that Kawaii~Chan says it's something one should never do. I doubt he has regrets for doing it, but I shrug it off.

"Twenty-three from today on," I answer. I don't want Nekoette to feel silly about her failed scolding, but my age was about to be shared tonight anyway. I'm still young, so sharing my age doesn't hurt yet. Now, if I was turning a much older age, I'd be more hesitant on saying it.

Kawaii~Chan peeks her head from the doorway and calls for the children to come inside to get ready for tonight. I take this as my sign to leave for my own home and come face to face with Cadenza once I open the door.

My eyes widen as I wrap my arms around him in delight. I squeal out her name as I dash to her. "What are you doing here? You said you couldn't make it!"

She laughs at me and placed her hands on my shoulders. "Oh, I managed to figure things out and placed my duties on Zack. He doesn't mind, and he encouraged it."

I nod my head before looking down at Cadenza's stomach. My mouth opens at the shock. "How many months?"

In her last letter to me, Cadenza wrote about feeling ill recently. She wasn't able to figure out what was the matter. But looking at her stomach and the dress that presses against it, I can see a small difference. Not a great one, but something I can see.

"Four," she beams before looking at me. "Come, you are not going to your own party looking like that. Garroth may like you just the way you are, but your outfit is horrendous for a birthday party in your honor."

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

The party is being thrown in Kiki's barn. It's decorated by the time we arrive, and others turn to look at me. The outside is still coated with snow, but it's warm and cozy here. Garroth walks over to take my hand and gives a brief nod to Cadenza. She nods in return, and I realize this is more than just a greeting.

Garroth is behind this.

He pulls me towards the others and speaks hushed on the way. Our walk is slow and lovely. "You look absolutely beautiful," he gushes, glancing at me up and down. "And your eyes are shining. We've gone above and beyond with decorating. Nekoette wanted nothing but the best flowers and insisted that Kawaii~Chan make all your favorite desserts."

I look over to Nekoette to see her holding onto Kawaii~Chan's hand as they look over the table of sweets. Nekoette is wearing a cute little pink dress that matches the flowers in my hair. It's new.

"You guys didn't have to do that."

He shakes his head. "For you? You deserve nothing but the best."