chapter thirty two

Garroth sits beside me on the bed, running his hands through my hair. I woke up this morning feeling ill, and this has worried Garroth greatly. I insist that it's because I'm tired and just need a few more hours of rest, but he wants to remain by my side.

My head rests against my pillow as I stare up at him. His actions are comforting, and I can feel myself falling into slumber. "Promise me you'll go to work when I fall asleep," I say, fighting against my fatigue. "I'm sorry I couldn't make you breakfast today."

He stands from my side and kisses the top of my head. "Don't worry about breakfast," he tells me, tucking me further into the blankets. "I was able to cook for myself. I'd rather I stay here while you're sick, but I'll work since you want me to."

"I'll go see Zoey when I wake up. She may be able to see what's wrong with me."

My words seem to put Garroth at ease as he nods his head. My eyelids feel heavy, and I can hear Garroth as tries his hardest to be silent while he walks away. The last thing I remember before I fall asleep is the door shutting.

I don't sleep for long before I wake up again. The sun tries its hardest to peek through the curtains and into my eyes. My actions to try and foil its plans quickly fail, and I find myself trying to hide in between pillows to block the light.

The thought of food makes me nauseous. I have to push Garroth's used dishes to the side and stay far from the smell it's caused. I open the windows to let in a breeze, but the summer air causes it to be warm. I shake my head at this and head upstairs to get dressed for my trip to see Zoey.

The walk starts to make me feel better just because I have gotten out of the house. I haven't felt well for a few days now, so watching over the children has fallen on both Zoey and Kawaii~Chan to switch off until I recover. When Garroth isn't working, he is at my every beck and call.

I cannot remember the last time I was sick, in summer, nonetheless. I've had headaches here and there, or the occasional stomach cramp, but I don't remember the last time I was truly sick.

Zoey opens the door and is surprised to see me. She ushers me into the house because of the summer heat, and we're sitting at the table sipping on a glass of lemonade. It feels better indoors than outside.

"You feel ill?" I nod my head at her question, and she places the back of her hand on my forehead. "You don't have a fever. What's wrong?"

I begin to explain what's been wrong for the past few days. Nausea, tiredness, pains in my stomach. She seems understanding of it all.

"And your menstrual cycle?"

I go back to thinking about when it started last. My eyebrows furrow together as I try to think of the date before coming to a conclusion. "I didn't get it last month. I thought that maybe I would, but-" I cut myself off at the realization of what could possibly be going on. "Oh, Zoey, you don't think it could be. . . That I'm-."

There's a wide smile on Zoey's face as she stands from her chair. I do the same in the thrill of excitement and go to hug her. "I thought that that may be the case, but I didn't want to assume anything. How long?"

"I'm unsure yet," she admits, looking at me. "Let me think it over."

I can't stop smiling and nodding my head crazily. My visit is soon over, and I find myself running to where Garroth is today. He's in the market, adding more booths for merchants.

I spot him with Travis. Travis is standing towards the top of a ladder as he hammers nails into wood. Garroth stands at the foot, watching his every move.

I call for Garroth, and he turns to see me running to him. His facial expression changes to one of concern as he stops my running body from tumbling over. He holds onto my shoulders, forgetting of Travis's existence.

"What's going on? What's the matter?"

"Garroth, I'm pregnant."

"What?" He stops, his expression dropping. "You're pregnant?"

I nod my head, and I can feel Garroth lifting me up from my feet and spinning me around in a circle. I throw my head back, laughing at his actions and wrap my arms around him.

"Ah, Garroth," Travis interrupts from above us. "I'd hate to ruin this touching moment, truly, I would. But I'm actually going to die if you don't hold this ladder again."

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

After nine months of carrying a child, it's an amazing thing to be able to hold your child in your arms. I smile tiredly at the little bottle of joy in my arms and snuggle her closer to my chest. Her little blue eyes are vibrant and aware of what's around.

Garroth stands at my side, afraid to touch our baby girl in case she breaks in his hold. He's taken good care of me despite my screams of pain and curses I let slip during the course of labor.

There's a knock on my bedroom door, and Zianna goes to open it. Dante peeks his head in and asks for permission for the family to enter. I finally get Garroth to hold our baby, and I giggle at the sight of him holding a being so little in his arms.

Zoey insists that they must not spend long if they want to be in the room, for I need my rest. I tell her I don't mind and to send the four in.

I can hear Kawaii~Chan gasping at the baby in Garroth's arms, and the children rush to see her. Dante stays behind the others by the foot of my bed, looking over at me. "How do you feel, mama?" He asks, smiling at the word 'mama.'

"Tired," I admit with a soft yawn. "But it was worth it to bring her into the world."

Kawaii~Chan looks over to me. "Have you thought of a name?"

"Elizabeth. Elizabeth Ro'meave."