Chapter 3: Breakfast is the Most Awkward Meal of the Day

It was pure luck, really, that Kira wasn't rooming with Joy or Yacker. Hopefully whoever her two roommates were didn't run into either of the other girls before Kira did; the last thing she needed was the people she was supposed to share a space with thinking she was a weirdo foreigner before she'd even said a word to them.

Kira put her suitcase on the empty twin bed shoved up against one of the walls. She felt bad to be taking up all that space, especially since there'd been that opening at Mut. Depending on how her first night went, Kira figured she might quietly talk to her father about moving into the other house after all.

Despite the size, it was a pretty room, well-decorated and clearly lived in. Hung up on the wall beside one of the beds was a plethora of American decorations, which piqued her interest. It was possible, of course, it was just some British girl who loved America just like some people back in the US fawned over the British. She'd ask once her roommates made an appearance.

However, it wasn't until she was just getting back from that awkward dinner reunion with her father at around 10:30 that two girls slipped into the room, whispering fervently to one another.

When it was clear they were too wrapped up in their own conversation to take any notice of her, Kira cleared her throat, and they both jumped.

"Sorry," she said sheepishly, "didn't mean to scare you." The two girls, one blonde and the other light brunette, stared at her with...was that panic? "I'm Kira, um, just moved in."

"Victor didn't say we were getting a new roommate," the blonde one said, narrowing her eyes.

"It was all a very spur of the moment decision," Kira replied. "My da—my relatives live nearby and wanted me and my brother enrolled here."

"You're American," the brunette said in a distinct American accent.

"I am," Kira confirmed, trying for a smile which the girl tentatively returned. "And so are you. I saw your USA decorations, but I didn't want to assume."

"Ha, yeah! Er, whereabouts?"

"New Jersey, but if you ask Eddie, he'll say we're New Yorkers," she replied with a chuckle. She was already agreeing to keep their father a secret; she wasn't about to lie that she was from an entirely different state too. "What about you?"

"Oh, um, the Midwest. I'm Nina, by the way; this is Amber," Nina said gesturing to her friend.

"Nice to meet you both," Kira said, and Amber gave her a tight smile. "I'm sorry if I get in your way; I don't take up much room, so just, um, carry on like I'm not here!"

"We will!" chirped Amber, and Nina shot her a dirty look. "What? Well, I don't know about you ladies, but I am soooo tired. Neens, come to the bathroom with me to wash up!"

Before Nina could say another word, she was being dragged out of the room, and Kira could just make out a snippet of their renewed whispering as they disappeared down the hall:

"The cube...Sibuna...can't meet there now!"

She sighed and crawled onto her bed, grabbing her book from the nightstand. They were definitely talking about her, as most girls do, even if their conversation didn't make much sense. She was definitely cramping their style, but it could have gone worse, she supposed. And at least there was another American in the house besides her dickhead brother.

The next morning was awkward. Nina and Amber had already gotten up and headed downstairs for breakfast when Kira's alarm went off. Once she'd managed to pull herself together and get into her uniform, it was already 7:45, which wasn't bad, but wasn't good if she wanted to leave herself enough wiggle room for when she inevitably got lost.