Chapter 37: You've Got (No) Mail

Kira was already awake well before Amber's alarm clock went off, texting fervently as she got dressed for the first day of classes. It was nice, honestly, putting the uniform back on after a long, unstructured summer. It wasn't that she loved school, but it was certainly better than sitting around doing nothing.

Her phone pinged as another text came through, and she looked down at it expectantly:

Operation Millington 🎂🎉

Mara 🤓💕: Jerome and I are waiting on the post

Joy 💖: taking his sweet time isn't he?

Kira: Amber hasn't gotten up yet, but I'll keep you posted.

Patricia 🌹: if she's not up yet wtf r we spamming the chat for 😭 let a bitch sleep five more mins

She could hear Joy through the wall threatening to drag Patricia out from beneath the covers by her ankles if she didn't pull herself together, and Kira snorted softly as she finished futzing with her tie.

The girls had decided months ago to throw Amber a surprise party considering how much she loved that sort of thing. They'd instructed everyone in the house to pretend they forgot about her birthday or that it wasn't a big deal, but to be ready with gifts and apologies once the party started that night. Meanwhile, the girls would be getting things ready for said party all while keeping Amber off the scent.

The sharp trill of Amber's heart-shaped alarm clock pierced the air, and she immediately leapt out of bed with a wide grin on her face. "It's my birthday!" she squealed excitedly, but her smile faltered at the sight of Nina's barren corner of the room.

Deciding that for the moment, comforting a friend was more important than a surprise party, Kira allowed herself to break the rule they'd set in place and wish Amber a warm happy birthday. Her roommate's smile returned, smaller this time but still genuine.

"Thanks," she said. "I just wish Nina were here." She checked her phone and frowned. "Not even a birthday message... I'm really worried about her, Kira."

"Hey, it's like two in the morning over there," she soothed. "She's probably just asleep. I bet you'll hear from her later today."

Amber looked doubtful, but she nodded, shaking off her worries. "Yeah, maybe... Sooooo," she said, drawing out the word, "what did you get me?"

"What do you mean?" Kira asked innocently, pulling her phone from where she tucked it in the waistband of her skirt and sending off the Amber alert— the good kind, not the bad one.

Amber wrinkled her nose, confused by her response. "Like for my birthday?"

It was a struggle not to laugh. "Oh, that," she said. "I didn't get you anything."

Amber did a poor job of hiding her disappointment. "O-Oh... Well, of course, you didn't have to get me anything, I just thought—" She cut herself off, pursing her lips; she sniffed. "That's okay. I'm going to go check the post."

She breezed out of the room just as another text came through in the group chat:

Operation Millington 🎂🎉

Mara 🤓💕: it's Jerome, got the packages. Hiding it in my room

Kira: Just in time cuz she's going to check the mail rn

Joy 💖: excellent!!! operation millington is go!

Willow 🧿🔮: SQUEE!