Chapter 18: Game, Set, and Match

That evening, Kira somberly began packing her things. Pulling down her photos, books, and knickknacks and stuffing them back into the boxes it seemed she'd only just taken them out of left a bitter taste on her tongue. Her spirits were further dampened after learning about Nina's grandmother.

She'd only spoken to the woman once while she'd been in the room while Nina was on a call with her, but Granny Martin seemed like a sweetheart. It was clear Nina loved her very much, so to hear she'd taken ill was horrible.

Overall, it was just not a very good day.

Amber sat on her bed across the room, silently watching her pack up while pretending to flip through a magazine. After a moment, the blonde sighed. "You know, just because Eddie's leaving doesn't mean you have to," she pointed out.

Kira laughed wryly through her nose. "Thought you'd be happy I was moving out," she replied, winding a sheet of bubble wrap around a ceramic pot she'd painted for Arbor Day in the second grade. "I'm always underfoot."

Amber shrugged. "As you said, you don't take up that much room." She looked her up and down, and cracked a small smile. "Usually." Kira chuckled, swallowing the lump in her throat, and Amber shook her head. "Seriously, why are you taking the fall for something Eddie did? If I were you, I'd have Daddy on the phone in a second."

"We're a package deal," she replied with a sigh. "Besides, I don't think my dad would be much help in this case." God, she really didn't want to go. Sure, in theory, she had a choice, but whether she liked it or not, she and Eddie orbited around each other; his gravity was always just a little bit stronger than hers, though.

A sharp knocking at the door interrupted their exchange, and Amber got up to answer it. Patricia stood in the hallway, her expression unreadable, but Kira got the distinct feeling she was in some sort of trouble.

"Sorry to bother you," she bit out through gritted teeth, glancing at Amber nervously. "Kira, can I speak with you for a minute? Alone?"

Kira gulped and nodded. "Um, yeah," she said, putting down one of her books on the bed before following her out into the corridor. Amber gave her a sympathetic wave on the way out, which did nothing to quell the fear she was about to get berated. "What's up, Patricia?"

"'What's up'?" Patricia repeated incredulously. "I dunno, Kira, what is up?"

"Um," Kira said, brows knitted together in confusion, "I don't know, that's why I asked you."

"Quit playing dumb!" she snapped, crossing her arms. "I know about..." Patricia trailed off, gesturing at her.

"Oh, that I'm bi?"

"No!" Patricia exclaimed, then lowered her voice to a fierce whisper. "That Mr. Sweet is your dad."

Kira pursed her lips. "Oh," she said.

"That's it? That's all you have to say about it?" Patricia asked.

"Well, what do you want me to say? I only kept it a secret because that's what Eddie wanted," Kira explained, crossing her arms too. "I've never been ashamed of it." She paused, biting her lip. "Does Eddie know you know?"

She scoffed. "Yeah, he's aware," she said with a huff. "Why did he never say anything before? The whole time I was giving him shit for being a teacher's pet—"

"It's a sore subject," Kira replied. "I think it's stupid, really, but... I understand why he didn't want anyone to know. Not that it really matters anymore, since we're leaving."

Patricia was silent for a moment. "You're really leaving? Both of you?" she asked quietly, avoiding eye contact.

"Yeah, I guess," she mumbled back. They lapsed into quiet, standing together in the hallway. "Are you going to tell everyone?"