Chapter 60: Moving Day

The next day was already hectic. Acting as a distraction, Patricia and Kira were volunteering at open day by setting up, while the rest of Sibuna prepped for the ceremony. Personally, Eddie thought Patricia helping set up a school event would be more suspicious than if she didn't show up at all, but she'd insisted on it.

"I have to put something on my resume," she'd remarked dryly.

"Good luck," Kira had chuckled awkwardly, passing off the bracelet to KT. He'd noticed they were a little weird around each other that morning, but really, he had more important things to worry about. She'd turned to him with a stern expression, "And don't fuck it up."

Now, they were finishing up packing some supplies, while Alfie was out scouting the Gatehouse. Well, Eddie was packing supplies; Fabian was panicking.

"'When the dark son is born in the English sky... and the dark son of Egypt shall rise again'," he read out loud for the millionth time. "No, no, I've made a mistake with the translation! I know I've made a mistake."

"You don't make mistakes, alright?" Eddie assured him, just shy of frustration. "It's just nerves."

Fabian shot him a grim look, turning back to rustling through his notes. KT barged in, shutting the door behind her softly. "Okay" she whispered. "We're all set!"

"I really wish Patricia was here," Fabian muttered, and that offended Eddie a little bit. "Or Kira." That offended him a lot.

"Hey, we're gonna do fine!" he insisted.

"Besides," KT said, "you know it's safe to have them at open day. If we were all gone, they'd know something was up."

While she spoke, Alfie peeked his head into the room slowly, dressed up in the most ridiculous outfit Eddie had ever seen, which was saying something since he owned an Uncle Sam costume.

"What are you wearing?" he asked impatiently.

Alfie stopped dead in his tracks. "It's my camouflage," he said, "but I, uh, don't think it's doing its job, because you can see me. Ooo!" Alfie reached over Fabian to grab one of the bananas he'd been packing, much to his dismay.

"Right..." KT said. "So has Denby left the Gatehouse yet?"

He put the banana to his mouth the a walkie-talkie. "The birdie has flown the nest! I repeat: the birdie has flown the nest!" The other three looked at him unimpressed, and Alfie huffed dramatically. "Yes, she's gone! You guys are no fun."

Fabian rolled his eyes and snatched back the fruit, while Eddie clapped. "Alright, guys," he said, trying to hype both his friends and himself up. "Let's go wake up old Frobie!" As they left the room, Alfie tried to do a somersault over the bed but ended up flat on his back, winded and yelping in pain.

"Hope that's not an omen for the day," KT chuckled nervously.

"It's not," Eddie vowed, giving his friend what he hoped was a reassuring smile. "I promise."

If there was one thing Joy knew how to do, it was put on an event, and even after their late night sleepover, that girl was absolutely buzzing with energy. All around them, performers were getting in some last-minute rehearsals before the festivities began, while Patricia and Kira were doing a whole lot of grunt work.

The girls both agreed that they'd much rather be trying to magically wake up a sleeping old man than live through the Masked Ball Preparations Part Two, even on a much smaller scale, but unfortunately Sibuna duty called.

For the moment, Joy was off doing other things, which left the girls under the direction of Mr. Sweet and Denby, who had them arranging chairs. It was a bit grueling, especially at ass-o'clock in the morning, but they'd both been through worse manual labor— especially Patricia.