Chapter 23: Angels and All That

When Kira arrived at breakfast that morning, the weird kids clique was already huddled together at the table, whispering about something or other. If she really strained her ears, she could make out something about stars or mirrors, but at the end of the day, it didn't really matter much to her— even if it was frustratingly bizarre.

"So did you get a magically good night's rest from that new crystal ball of yours?" Joy asked her as she poured a glass of orange juice. She handed it off to Kira before pouring herself one. "I know I could have used one. Four girls crammed in one room is not exactly conducive to beauty sleep. Plus, don't tell anyone this, but Patricia and Piper have the same snore."

"You poor thing," Kira chuckled, painfully aware of her blush when their fingers touched. "And I don't really know if the hami khafi actually did anything for my REM cycle," she said, taking a swig of her OJ. "Maybe. I might have been the only one who did get a good night's rest, actually, so you're not alone. Nina was tossing and turning all night."

Joy's expression darkened a fraction at Nina's name, eyes cutting to the girl at the head of the table. "Ugh, what do they even whisper about like that?" she muttered. "It's barely seven in the morning and they're already stuck in their own little world."

Kira tore off a piece of her croissant and popped it in her mouth. "Isn't Patricia your best friend?" she asked. "Why don't you just ask her? And if she tells you, be sure to let me know."

"She is, but... I don't know, every time I ask, she just gets this nervous look on her face and avoids the question."

"You'd honestly think it was a matter of life and death the way they act," Mara whispered, joining them in the kitchen as they peered through the window at them.

"Maybe they're in a roleplaying group," Kira suggested with a bemused snort. "Dungeons and Dragons or something like that."

Joy's face had grown equal parts frightened and thoughtful, but at Kira's speculation, she burst out laughing. "Honestly, that wouldn't surprise me. Alfie definitely DMs."

The girls had a good chuckle at the group's expense, imagining the weird fantasy nonsense they all probably took so seriously. It was ridiculous to think of Amber ever willingly playing a game so dorky, but it was still funny.

"Well," Mara said after a minute, "as much as I'd love to stay here and speculate about whether or not Fabian is a wizard, I've got to get in early to talk to Mr. Sweet about the last chemistry assignment we got back."

"What's wrong with it?" Kira asked before draining the last of her juice.

"He took off half a point because I mislabeled a chemical bond, but there was a little piece of eraser that got stuck on one of the letters! Changed the whole meaning!"

"Wow," Joy drawled sarcastically, "I didn't know you ever even had to erase, Mara. Thought you got it perfect the first time around."

"Ha, ha," Mara deadpanned good-naturedly. She looked at Kira then. "Say, don't you start tutoring this afternoon?"