20. Samantha

I woke up in the morning excited and nervous. I was flying alone again. I was pretty sure Mom and Dad had made sure to set up the Unaccompanied Minor thing they'd done on my flight out. But I was still a little nervous.

I got up and checked all my baggage again.

My passport was missing.

I was frantic. I emptied my backpack and it wasn't there. I know I didn't put it in my suitcase but I looked in it anyway, moving all my freshly laundered and folded clothes. It wasn't there.

I ran into the bathroom and checked my toiletry bag. No passport. I grabbed that and tossed it on my suitcase.

Uncle Mark came into my room while I was putting stuff back in my suitcase and crying.

"Samantha," he said, coming over. "What's the matter?"

"My passport is missing. I can't find it. It was in my bag last night. I checked. But it's gone now!"

Uncle Mark frowned.

"Give me a second," he said and left my room. I sat back against the bed frame and put my head in my hands. I wanted to go home.

Uncle Mark came back into my room and handed me the small blue booklet.

"Your cousin really wanted to keep you here," he smiled, sympathetically. "Benji took it and hid it in his pillow."

I frowned.

"He's sorry and he's going to come apologize. But I wanted to make sure you were alright first."

I wiped my eyes and took the document and put it in my backpack. As much as I loved my aunt and uncle and cousins, at this point, I just wanted to go home.

"Pack up whatever's left, bring your stuff downstairs. We're going to go out for breakfast and take you to the airport, okay?" Uncle Mark said, pulling me into a hug.

I nodded.

As I was putting things back into my backpack, Benji came into the doorway and sort of hid behind it.

"I'm sorry," he said quietly. "I don't want you to leave."

I looked up at him and tried to stay calm.

"You really scared me, Benji," I said. "I can't fly home without my passport and you took it."

"I just wanted you to stay here," he said.

"I know, but I'm not and that didn't make me want to stay anyway. You scared me."

A tear fell from his eye and I didn't want him to be too upset, but I didn't want him to think messing with people was good.

"Are you mad at me?" He asked.

"A little," I said, honestly. "I still love you and stuff. But right now, I'm a little mad at you."

"I get it," he said. "I'm sorry."

"I know," I said.

I finished putting my chargers back in my bag and double checked I had everything. I got up, looked around again and brought my bags downstairs. I got my insulin from the fridge.

Emma and Benji came down a little later and Uncle Mark and Aunt Carol loaded us all into the car and drove us towards the airport.

We stopped at a restaurant along the way that I guess is a bit like a diner back home. They had pancakes and waffles but also traditional British breakfasts like beans on toast and a full English breakfast.

We talked throughout the meal but Benji was quiet. I knew he was feeling bad about me being a bit mad at him but I decided I'd let him feel bad just a bit longer.

Once we were done, we got back in the car and headed to the airport. Once there, Uncle Mark parked in the garage and we went into the terminal. They helped me get checked in and again I was given the Unaccompanied Minor thing where I was instructed to put my boarding pass and passport.

I had some time before I had to go through security, and the airline people said to just come back and they'd get my escort to come when I was ready.

We went to a coffee shop in the airport and had drinks before we went back to the ticket counter to get my escort.

I hugged everyone goodbye and saved Benji for last.

"I'm still upset," I said. "But I'm not mad. I'll text you when I get home, okay?"

He smiled at me and nodded.

"Okay," he said.

I said my last goodbyes and followed the airline lady through to security and to my gate. She waited with me until boarding and wished me a safe flight.

I was on my way home.