58. Jenna

Amid a Medical Crisis, The Josephs Remain a Family
Judge's Ruling Ends Legal Battle

COLUMBUS - After a tense week of in-court testimony and at-home drama, a judgement has been rendered in the custody case involving the adopted daughter of Tyler and Jenna Joseph.

On Friday, paramedics were called to the family home where it was discovered that Samantha Joseph, 15, had fallen in her shower, causing the glass door to break and causing severe lacerations, some of which required surgery to repair. The teenager is known to be diabetic and a source close to the family say her blood sugar had dropped to an undetectable level. The cuts could not have helped the matter as it is reported the teen needed blood transfusions to replace the lost volume.

She coded at the hospital and was comatose throughout the week. The Joseph's lawyer pleaded with the court to adjourn in favour of the Josephs as the outlook at the time was grim and Samantha's survival was not guaranteed. The opposing lawyer stated that they would not cede the decision without trying the case, a decision that was unpopular with the courts and the public.

This past Friday, some improvement was seen in the teenager's health. She was taken off the respirator and was breathing on her own.

Yesterday, the judge rendered her verdict, awarding custody to the Josephs. Both Tyler and Jenna Joseph took a break from their daughter's bedside to attend the judge's ruling.

"As I said at the beginning of this case, I was unsure why this case was even allowed to go forward, but I promised to hear the case and the facts.

However, I find that facts have been heavy on one side and rather light on the other.

The Josephs presented friends and family who have watched their interactions with Samantha over the past two years. Mr Solman, you brought an affidavit from your wife and a colleague. One of whom met Samantha only once and who spent no time with her.

But the point in this case that solidified my decision was last Monday when we were informed of Samantha's health crisis. Mr Joseph desired to remain by his daughter's side, not knowing if he was going to be able to bring her home, ever. Mr Solman, you chose to continue fighting for a child that until last year you didn't know existed. A child who, we heard in this courtroom, you lied to and attempted to manipulate. You told her parents there was a festival you wanted her to see. You told her that her parents were going to California.

Neither of these scenarios were true. I am unclear as to what your motivation was, but I suspect it was to coerce Samantha to stay in England with your family.

From the moment we heard about Samantha's health crisis, I saw vastly different reactions. For someone who claimed to care so deeply for his niece, I saw not one moment in which you seemed distraught or worried. Not once did you ask about her condition.

Mr Joseph, on the other hand looked distraught throughout the proceedings last Monday, and that is not something that is easily acted. Mr Joseph's outburst in the courtroom last Monday spoke volumes.

Considering we didn't get the opportunity to hear Samantha's desires from her own mouth, I still find it easy to make the decision to award custody to the Josephs. Tyler, Jenna, go be with your daughter."

Cheering erupted in the courtroom while Tyler and Jenna Joseph embraced, tears falling down their cheeks. Hopefully they can put this all behind them and focus on their daughter's recovery.
—————————————————
I read the article to Samantha. She was still unresponsive, but we were seeing small signs of improvement. She would grimace to painful stimuli and when Tyler sang to her, her vitals evened out.

She had yet to move a muscle on her own though.

Tyler was holding Rosie and Brendon and Sarah were on Sam's other side, interjecting their opinions as I read the article.

"So you see Sam? You're ours forever. Through thick and thin. Whatever happens, we're a family forever," I said, squeezing her hand. I felt a slight movement from Sam's hand.

"Sam? Did your fingers move? Can you do that again sweetheart?"

Nothing. But I was certain I felt something.

Just then there was a knock on the door. Tyler stood up, anger on his face.

"Get out," he said. "Haven't you done enough?"

I looked up. Mark Solman was standing in the doorway. He had a small gift bag with him.

"How is she?" He asked.

"Why do you suddenly care now?" Tyler asked. I put my hand on his arm.

"I've always cared. I wanted to stop when we heard. My lawyer was convinced she could win."

"You have no business here anymore, Mark. I suggest you leave before I call security," Tyler seethed.

"I just wanted to come say goodbye, that I'm sorry this happened. And to bring Sam this."
He held out the gift bag.

"Samantha needs nothing from you anymore. Except for you to leave her alone," Tyler said.

Brendon took the bag from Mark and opened it. He brought out a somewhat ratty looking stuffed dog.

"It was Janet's," Mark said. "I kept it in case I ever found her again."

Brendon looked at me. I nodded. He put the dog in Samantha's arm.

"Again. I'm sorry for everything. Thanks for letting me get to know Samantha just a little. I hope she recovers quickly."

He left the room and hopefully, our lives forever.

"Jim," I heard.

I looked up at Samantha. Her eyes were open.