12. Samantha

Mark woke Benji and I up hours later. Benji had fallen asleep across the bench we were sitting on outside Emma's room, and had his head in my lap. I'd fallen asleep sitting up and my head had lolled back. My neck was stiff when Mark gently shook me awake.

"I'm going to take you two to get dinner and then take you home," he said as I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes.

"Is Emma okay?" I asked.

"She will be," Mark said. "She's still unconscious, but the doctors think she's going to be alright."

Benji and I gathered our bags and followed Mark out of the hospital to his car. We drove hoke, stopping at a McDonald's to get some food. When we got back to the house, Mark asked if I was alright staying alone in the house with Benji if he went back to the hospital.

"Well, I guess, but I don't know anyone if we need something," I said.

"One of us will be home to sleep tonight. I promise. I just want to be at the hospital for a little longer, bring Carol a change of clothes since she's still in her bathing suit, and some clothes and pyjamas for Emma."

"I guess we'll be okay," I said, looking at Benji.

"Lock the door behind me. Benji, eat dinner, brush your teeth and into bed, okay? Sam, thank you for acting so quickly. One of us will be home in a few hours," Mark said, hugging me.

Mark left and I looked at Benji who looked so lost.

"Do you think Emma is going to be okay?" He asked.

"I'm sure she will be. I drowned. Twice. And I'm okay," I said.

Benji looked at me.

"Can I sleep in your room tonight? Or can you sleep in mine?"

"Sure. Let's go eat dinner, and then we'll brush our teeth and get ready for bed, okay?"

"Okay," he agreed.

We ate fairly slowly. Neither of us were particularly hungry, but we hadn't eaten since lunch and that was hours ago. I hadn't had a snack and my blood sugar was showing it. I wondered if Mom and Dad could still get my readings.

That reminded me that I hadn't called home in a couple of days. I thought about calling after dinner, but I was so tired.

Benji and I threw out our garbage and wiped down the table. We went upstairs, but I checked the front and back doors were locked, and followed Benji.

We both changed into pyjamas in our own rooms and then brushed our teeth. Benji got his stuffed toy, a very floppy dog, and came into my room. I got into bed and he got in beside me.

"Can we leave the lamp on?" Benji asked.

"Sure," I said.

Benji curled up beside me and snuggled his dog. I lay back and put my arm around him.

We fell asleep pretty quickly.

At some point in the night I was woken up by footsteps. I startled awake and saw Carol coming into my room.

"Oh! I'm sorry," she whispered. "I didn't mean to wake you. I saw your light and came to turn it off. And see if Benji was in here. And he is. Are you two okay? Are you alright with him here?"

"We're fine. He's fine. How's Emma?"

Carol smiled.

"She woke up about an hour ago. She's going to be okay. She'll stay in the hospital tonight, obviously, and we'll find out tomorrow if she can come home. Mark is going to stay with her tonight."

"Good," I said.

"Thank you, Sam, for reacting so quickly," Carol said.

"You're welcome."

She leaned over Benji and kissed my head. Then kissed Benji on his head and tucked us in.

I fell back to sleep pretty much right away.

In the morning, I woke up because I had to use the bathroom. Benji was still asleep, laying diagonally with his feet hanging off the bed. I tried to climb over Benji without waking him, but kicked his foot and woke him up.

"Is Emma okay?" He asked as soon as he opened his eyes.

"She will be," I said. "She woke up last night. Your mom came home and your dad's at the hospital with Emma. We'll find out later if she's coming home today."

"Oh," Benji said. "Okay."

I went into the bathroom with clean clothes, a towel and my toiletries and went to the bathroom and took a shower. When I finished getting dressed, I went back to my room and Saw that Benji had gotten up. I heard him go into the bathroom as I was putting my stuff away.

As I went downstairs, I saw Carol and Mark's door was still closed, so I figured Carol was still asleep. She needed it. I knew my way around their kitchen, so I made coffee and pulled out eggs and bread.

"Do you want a Toad in the Hole?" I asked Benji when he came downstairs.

"You know how to make them?" He asked. I nodded.

"Okay," he said, getting out the ketchup and the jam and the cutlery. I got the plates out since he couldn't reach them.

I'd made a Toad in the Hole for Benji and was just finishing making mine when Carol came downstairs.

"You made breakfast?" Carol said, surprised.

"And coffee," I said. "Do you want a Toad in the Hole?"

"You know what? I do. That would be lovely. Thanks Samantha," she smiled.

I gave her mine and made myself a fresh one. She poured herself a cup of coffee and took the milk from the fridge.

"This is really good," she said, sipping her coffee. "Thank you so much, Samantha."

I smiled.

"I'm going to go back to the hospital after breakfast. I'll give you my library card and some money, and house keys, and you and Benji can go to the library, is that okay?"

"Sure," I said. "No problem."

We finished eating and Benji and I cleaned up. Carol went upstairs to get dressed and came back, leaving me her library card, keys and said I could take Benji wherever for lunch, and left me some money. I had money, too, so depending on what we had, if Carol hadn't left enough, I'd pay for the rest.

Benji said he wanted to watch some TV first, before we went ti the library.

I took out my phone and sat in the TV room with him while he watched some kid's show.

I texted Mom and Dad and let them know all was well.