Mirabel x reader - Family dinner

just a short one because I thought of it yesterday

warnings: knife, threat

~  ~  ~  ~  ~

I gulp deeply, looking across at the people at the table who were listening intently to Abuela Alma as she gave everyone a pep-talk.

Glancing outside for any support, I'm met with nothing. Only the darkness of the sky and a light prod on my leg. Reacting to the feeling, I make eye contact with Mirabel who lifted an eyebrow.

She leans in to whisper, her words barely audible, "Just be good and nothing bad will happen. Act normal."

She leans away again giving me a sweet smile, despite the situation. I spot Dolores eyeing me, her shoulders tense and teeth grit nervously.

The crowd all chant "The Family Madrigal!" before going to eat their food, light chatter now arising from the table.

"So, Y/n," I almost break my neck, snapping it in the direction of the voice, Julietta speaks to my kindly, "How are you enjoying staying with our mad family?" She chuckles slightly, cutting into her food.

I nervously laugh, feeling the blade of a knife rest lightly on my leg, ready to be pushed further if my answer was unsatisfactory. "It's amazing, I love it here. Thank you so much for having me, I'm very grateful." I look at Mirabel, who's watching me, "I promise."

"I'm so glad." Julietta continues, "You're such a delight and you make Mirabel so happy."

I smile, placing a hand on Mirabel's under the table, "That's all that matters to me."

I stare at her with pleading eyes to which she sighs and pulls her hand from mine, along with the knife from my leg.

"You always know exactly what to say." She hints and rolls her eyes at me playfully.

"Mirabel." Dolores calls out from across the table, "How are you enjoying the food?"

"It's great.. yeah." She replies, trying to see where she was going.

"Aren't you struggling to eat with only one hand?" her eyes flicker from Mirabel to me.

"I'm managing just fine thank you." Mirabel glares and I just keep my eyes on my plate. "Aren't you struggling to eat with your nose in other people's buisnes-"

"Woah, woah, girls." Julietta chimes in, "What's going on? Why was that so passive aggressive? People can eat their dinner however they want to- and Mirabel? Why so mean?"

"Sorry Mama, it's just we're having a dispute which will be over soon." Mirabel explains.

I choke on my food, afraid of what she could've possibly meant. Was she going to kill me?-

"Y/n are you okay?" Pepa, who sat on the other side of me, pat's my back gently.

"No! I uh-" I control my volume feeling the daggers coming my way, literally and figuratively. "I'm sorry I'm really tired, just ignore me." I give a light chuckle and go back to eating trying to ignore the blade which was ok the brink of embedding itself in my thigh.

"Are you sure, Y/n?" Mirabel asks, "If you're tired I'm sure people won't mind if we excise ourselves."

"No, of course not." Julietta speaks in a motherly tone, "If you're tired Y/n, go and rest your head; we don't mind."

"No, actually." Delores locks her eyes to mine, my heart rate rising at the confrontation, "I think it'd be rude if the left."

"Dolores! It's fine, let them go of they want." Pepa scolds her daughter, "Go on then you two, we'll see you tomorrow."

"See you tomorrow." We both respond.

I keep my head down as we walk out the room, bracing myself for what's to come next. I feel the cold metal on the skin of my back as we walk up the stairs, eventually coming to Mirabel's bedroom.

"I won't blame you for that." She whispers and pulls me in, "You tried you best, it was just Dolores. I'll have a talk with her."

I sigh with relief, sitting on the bed next to her anxiously, "I thought you were going to kill me."

"Kill you?" She wraps her arms around me, pulling me into a lying position, "Kill you? Mi amor, I love you."

I lean forwards and rest my forehead against hers, "I love you too."

And it's true. God knows how or why.

Word Count: 733
Date Written: 22/01/22
Other Notes: got another Camilo one coming out soon.