Chapter 11

Shibuya Psychic Research...

Isn't rent really expensive here?

Nikita may have taken Naru up on his offer and she may have quit her previous job. She also may have been swayed by the number of 0s on her potential pay slip. In other words, she now worked at SPR. And she couldn't recall doing anything other than running randomly into rooms and screaming bloody murder or calling Naru a dry toad. So the reason why Naru had hired her was a complete mystery.

And now she was standing next to Mai, who was on tea duty and was questioning all her life decisions that lead her to that point. Her work mainly consisted of welcoming people into the office and sometimes making tea for clients, then breaking it to them that Naru didn't want to take their case. All in all she was getting paid to do nothing.

That hadn't lasted very long.

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•

Other than being the largest house that Nikita had seen first hand, the house seemed quite ordinary. It was clearly a sturdy building. Nothing like the old school building. She wouldn't be able to blame it on the foundation either. Nothing seemed off about it at all. It seemed to have stood there for some generations. That may have been the problem. The house had a long history, anything could have happened in the house and if not on the house, then on the land. Her worries were confirmed the second she walked through the doorway. 

Suffocated. She was being suffocated! Something was tightening its grasp around her airways, rapidly before it disappeared as quickly as it had appeared. The sensation was so sudden, she'd mistakes it for another vision. Except, she was sure her locket was still around her neck while she was being choked. Something was very wrong here, and they were likely to find out what, very soon.

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•

Nikita didn't give herself time to take in the niceties of the house around her. Instead she was mentally checking and any types of escape routes out of the building. This included tiny little windows that she would never fit through.

"I apologise for dragging you out all this way." Noriko-san said as they came to a stop in what probably was a reception room or living room. She wasn't sure what the difference between the two were, that was something she would have time for when she was rich. 

"This is my sister-in-law Kana and my niece Ayami. My brother is currently overseas on a business trip, so it is just us in the house and I'm feeling uneasy" She admitted.

"Who is in charge here?" Kana-san asked looking between both Naru and Nikita.

Who could blame her, she clearly noted the clear 1-2 inch difference in height between Naru and myself.

"I am the manager, Shibuya Kazuya." Naru said stepping forward. Although the look of surprise on Kana-san's face was understandable seeing how young Naru was, Nikita could barely wait to make a jab at Naru's height later. Ever since he'd made her life difficult back at the old school house, she'd declared a one sided war on him. Call her petty but it certainly gave her something to occupy herself with between the ever so painstaking job of serving tea and opening doors.

"Is this really the work of ghosts?" There was a slight pause in her words as she asked this. Of course everyone ignored it and Naru answered as usual.

"That is what we are here to investigate."

Back to work again, I should probably ask where the kitchen is...

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•

"I'd say this was the work of an earth spirit." Nikita heard an all too familiar voice announce as she walked back into the room with a tray of tea.

"Ahh Monk-san, Matsuzaki-san!" Nikita called with excitement. "I just got back I'm not making anymore tea." She said in a monotone before the old man could say anything. "So why do you think this is an earth spirit?" Nikita asked placing the tray down on the wooden table.

Before the priestess could reply Mai jutted in. "I think it could be a poltergeist."

"Oh well look at you." Matsuzaki-san said sounding mildly amused and impressed.

"Well poltergeists are caused by human and most cases are women under stress. And under that category, don't you think a woman who can't get along well with her sister-in-law fits all to well?" Nikita could sense Mai's swelling ego and Naru's inevitable obnoxious remark.

As she thought, Naru did not disappoint. "Amateurish and shallow thinking. In cases of a poltergeist, it is usually a adolescent child or young teen." There goes Mai's self confidence. "Noriko-san is too old to be considered an adolescent."

"But-"

"True there are cases of spiritually sensitive women, I will conduct an experiment regarding that tonight." Naru shut down Mai in every manner.

"There there Mai, let's go and make that tea that monk-san was going to ask for and ignore Naru." Nikita said escorting Mai out.

As they were making their way to the kitchen, they were stopped by Noriko-san. "Mai, Nikita, perfect timing. It's time for Ayami's snack, care to tag along?"

"Yes, of course!" Mai and Nikita replied all too glad to forget about making tea.

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•

"Ayami's very cute, do you think she takes after her father?" Mai asked.

"No, she takes after her mother." Noriko-san replied softly.

"She doesn't look a lot like Kana-san."

"Kana-san is my brother's second wife. Ayami is the daughter of his late wife."

"I'm sorry."

"That's okay" Noriko-san assured. A sense of foreboding distracted Nikita from the conversation so was quiet majority of the time. Something was wrong, but she didn't know what. And the feeling of not knowing scared her.

"Ayami! Time for your snack, Mai and Nikita are here too!" Noriko-san said opening the door.

Something was definitely wrong about the house, but the second they opened the door the presentiment disappeared once again. Ayami got up from where she had been sitting and brought her doll with her. "Hello."

Something about the doll screamed possessed. It wasn't just her gut feeling that was telling her that though. Nikita had always regarded doll's with disdain. Something about them made her queasy. Perhaps it was they way their eyes seemed bore into you unseeingly.

Nikita crouched down in front of Ayami and shook the doll's hand then shuffled slightly as Mai did the same and asked, "Hello, what's your name?"

"Minnie."

Don't forget to vote or comment! I'd love to get some feedback.