Chapter 13

Nikita wasn't sure whether someone had swapped out the sugar for something else before she put it in everyone's tea because she was sure everyone else was seeing the same thing as her.

The whole place was flipped upside down and from the look of it the carpet was too. No one could have done that on their own. At least now they could confirm it was definitely some sort of haunting and pay attention to that doll.

I wonder why I didn't see any of this before? Is it because it hasn't hurt anyone yet? Are there some conditions that have to be met? That doesn't explain why squirrel attacks are important.

"Even the carpet is upside down..." Mai breathed as she stood back up after lifting part of the carpet to check.

"This settles it, it's a poltergeist." The monk announced as if he had cracked the code. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Matsuzaki-san gearing up for an argument. 

"This is clearly the work of an earth spirit." Matsuzaki-san refuted throwing her hands up for good measure. "I'll have it driven out as early as tomorrow, just you watch." This is going to be a repeat of last time. Nikita shared a look with Mai before she turned to listen to Naru's verdict.

"What's wrong? You seem to be thinking about something really hard, huh? Is something bothering you?" The Monk asked Naru with a slight teasing tone.

"Doesn't this response seem to be a little quick, psychic phenomena tend to have an aversion to outsiders." 

"That's what I thought! Its almost as though something is warning us. Either that, or it wants us to get out. Rather than quieting down with our arrival it seems to have gotten worse. If we go by Noriko-san's reaction to the furniture being flipped, nothing if this magnitude has occurred." Nikita interrupted, looking away from him and glancing at the mess in front of them. 

"So it's not just Mai that's been studying then, you gave off more of a I'm here because of my pay cheque vibe than actually being interested in any of this." Monk-san said with a small laugh. 

That would be correct, if Naru didn't tell me the potential salary before hand I would have stuck to my job as a waitress. Which for the record paid peanuts.

"Of course, do I look like I make it a hobby of running into haunted buildings without at least trying to learn a little bit about them first. I've even been reading somethings on possessions and exorcisms, not that it makes much sense to me." She muttered the last bit to herself. Those books in particular served as more of a spooky bed time story than actually being useful to her 'painfully ignorant mind' as Naru had been so glad to remind her time and time again. Despite this, Nikita guessed it might come in handy reading all those dusty tomes - one day perhaps. 

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•

It never moved, not even a smidgen. Nikita thought as she glanced at Matsuzaki-san dressed in her Miko outfit. She was currently wrapping up her attempt to exorcise whatever she claimed the disturbance to be this time. She must have started while she and Mai were checking the room temperatures. If they were lucky it would work and they would all be saved from another day of potentially being murdered by some vengeful ghost.

"She's finished." Mai hissed from next to Nikita.

"That was easy! I've taken care of it so consider this case closed!" She said with her head held up high with pride. 

Nikita decided that it would be best not to be the one to reply to her and turned back to where Mai was handing in the results to Naru. 

"Ayami-chan's ro-"

Fire. 

That was short. She thought as she rushed out of the room in search of a fire extinguisher. 

Do people keep fire extinguishers in their houses? Or buckets of water?  She skidded to a stop when she stopped the magical red canister itself. Yes, apparently they do.

"I have a fire extinguisher!" She said as she half ran half slipped on the wooden flooring of the hallway into the kitchen, using Mai , who had been summoned by a cry from the kitchen, as a sort of brake. She handed the pressurised container to Mai and helped  Matsuzaki-san haul pails of water. Fire's caused by ghosts probably aren't grease fires right?  If they are then this water is a great solution. She thought as she threw water at the offending stove in question. 

The hair on the back of her neck rose as she turned to look at Mai and made eye contact with Naru, causing her to immediately look away. Aww he's helping Mai. Not awww, he's looking at me in that creepy way again.

Swiftly the fire was put out and they could attend to the frightened women.

"Is anyone hurt? I do believe that there is something for burns in the first aid kit." She said as she walked towards the door, only to be stopped by a sharp gasp from Mai. Her arm was outstretched, shaking slightly as she pointed towards the window. Nikita quickly made her way over to it and opened it checking outside for whatever could have spooked her. She held back a flinch when Naru joined her. 

"There's nothing there." Currently 

"There was a child! Looking in through the window." Mai insisted. She's probably right. 

Everyone turned to look at Noriko-san. I doubt it was Ayami but I guess it's worth trying.

"But Ayami should be in my room, in bed."

Nikita trailed behind everyone moving slowly. All the running around got a bit tiring after a while and she should probably preserve her energy for when they inevitably agitated Ayami and everything went to poop and she would have the luck of foreseeing it mere seconds before it happened. 

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•

"It wasn't me! I didn't do it!" 

Nikita sighed. And then she sighed some more. Maybe something would fall on her and knock her out and she could wake up when this was all done and still get paid. Don't jinx it something is going to fall on you and knock your brain out. 

As if summoned by her thoughts, the room started shaking around them. 

A falling bookcase, a young child's scream. 

Nikita sighed. And then sighed some more.