Haircut

Link sighed as he sat down next to his cooking pot, staring up at the stars. It has been at least a week since they had beaten Calamity Ganon, but Link still felt the malice it left behind.

He stirred the meat cubes in the pot, delicious aromas wafting out of the contents. He breathed deeply, hoping the soothing scent of his cooking could settle his nerves.

Zelda came out of the house then, but Link didn't notice. Their house was nestled at the top of a hill in Kakariko Village, right next to the Great Fairy Fountain. Link stared at the small fairies and fireflies, watching them gently bob around in the air.

"ink..Link.. LINK! God are you even listening?!" Zelda said, throwing her hands in the air exasperatedly. Link tried to hold back his laughs as Zelda heaved him off his feet.

"Let's eat!" she said, holding two wooden bowls in earnest. It was only then when he actually noticed what she had been doing.

Instead of being in its long tresses, the golden yellow strands had been chopped into a bob that was chin length. Zelda still had her braided crown, but it was a sudden change that Link definitely hadn't been expecting.

Zelda hadn't taken notice of his intense stare yet, and she was ladling the stew into the bowls. She looked up and caught him staring with a neutral expression on his face.

"It's not bad, is it?" she said, running her hand through the hair. Link still kept on staring though, and Zelda's doubts began to surface.

"It's too much, right?" she said, now being thrown into a panic. " Maybe the citizens won't take me seriously, or they'll think I'm too young to rule. Ugh. why am I so stupid?" she said, setting down the bowls of soup before pacing the length of the house. She sat on a tree stump at the far end, looking at the view.

Wetland Stable was in the distance, with its shrine nearby. Small groups of Lizalfos and Bokoblins were sparsely spread through the wetlands and a guardian stalker was there as well, keeping watch.

Link came and set his hands on her sounders, kneeling on the grass so he was at her eye level.

"I think you look beautiful." he said, speaking his mind.

Zelda looked surprised. The hero had never spoken before, as to not letting someone help with his burdens. His voice was slightly rough from almost no use, and it sounded soothing, like the grass ruffling in the wind or rain pattering the windows.

Zelda smiled, a real smile, soft and gentle. She bent down slightly and hugged Link. He stiffened from surprise, but quickly warmed up to it as he curled his arms around her.

They sat there like that for who knows how long, just enjoying each other's presence. The late afternoon sun had faded into twilight, basking Hyrule with the last of its glow.

The sun hit Zelda's hair as it descended, making the blond strands look gold. Both her and Link stood, now walking back towards the house. Zelda chattered while Link popped in the occasional comment. They laughed together over the stew and moved back to the tree stump, sharing the small circle of space as they ate.

Link would always be there for Zelda and she would always be there for him.