12 - Romanoffs

A/N
2K! WHAT ON EARTH! when I first posted this I was delighted at 10 reads but 2K is Insane thank you so much!!

Red Room
1992

(Aged 8)

The thunder roared outside the windows of the grubby, cold dormitory in the red room.

The young girls that occupied the space however slept soundly, they were no strangers to violence and noise.

It was what they were trained for after all.

When I say all the girls slept soundly I meant all but one.

Absantine Romanova lay listening to the noise rage outside in perfect harmony with the deep breaths of the girls around her.

She focused on the bunk above her in which the breathing was lighter indicating that the occupant was, intact conscious.

She silently climbed out of bed and made her way to the bunk above her where she found her sister staring absent mindlessly at the ceiling.

"Natalia" she whispered, the girl did not hear her so she tried again "Natalia" this time the red head turned and smiled at the sight of her kin.

She shifted slightly leaving room for Absantine to climb into bed beside her.

"Why are you still awake" whispered Natalia "I couldn't sleep with the storm" came the reply.

There was a moment of comfortable silence before Absantine spoke again "I missed you" she told her sister who smiled in return "I missed you too" "what's America like?" Asked the younger twin "it was great!" Began Natalia excitedly "I had a mom and a dad and I got to go to school and everything, and we had Christmas and Santa claus too!".

All the while she talked her sister stared at her wistfully taking in the information.

"Do you promise" began Absantine "that we'll always stick together?" Her sister looked back at her "I promise" Absantine smiled widely "we will always be Natalia and Abby Romanova yeah?"

"No" Abby looked taken aback "no, Romanovs are not nice people they leave and betray each other, when I was in ohio my name was Natasha Romanoff, we can be Romanoffs and Romanoffs will be nice people who always stick together".

Abby smiled "okay, but I wanna keep my first name" Natasha laughed "alright, from now one we can be Absantine and Natasha Romanoff".

Her sister looked up at her hopefully "Because we'll always stick together".

A/N
So this is just a really short flashback for context, because of the length I'll probably post another chapter before the week is out.

Stay safe

- Madeline

Word count: 400