6. Suspect #2: Marcus

Suspect #2: Marcus

Marcus is not very popular but is well known. He fits the criteria because he also has light brown hair, and green eyes. He’s pretty tall. 

Sarah and I actually didn’t have Marcus on our list. When I asked if we should ask Marcus, Sarah heavily implied that he isn’t Ace. I was on the offense but agreed to not investigate Marcus. But then I decided no. This is my investigation. 

Sarah told me to not ask every suspect after each day. But rather, we should space them out. 

So throughout the following three days, I continued watching. I wondered if Ace was also watching me. Wondering if I’ve spotted him but didn’t know it was him. I also watched Judy and Timothy. 

Every now and then, I would make eye contact with Timothy and I would glare at him. Then I would use my two fingers and point them at my eyes and then at him. He would flinch, perfect.

“Oliver, could you, maybe take it down on Timothy.” Judy had asked to talk to me in private. Sarah and Jackie looked at the two of us, wondering what we were gonna talk about. John was shoving his face with fries.

“What do you mean?” I acted oblivious. I wanted her to say it.

“You know what I’m talking about.” 

“Mmm, no, I don’t.”

“Fine! I’m dating Tim. I guess after you threatened him, he called me saying that you knew. He’s also been telling me you’ve been giving him stares.”

“Okay yes, I know about you two. I just- ugh. You know how Tim is. I just want to make sure he's treating you well.” 

“He is. He likes me. And I like him too.”

“If you say so. But my promise I made to him still remains.”

“What promise?

“Oh, nothing.” 

The day passed and it was now Thursday afternoon. Marcus would most likely be at the study hall. Yes, our school has a study hall. We fancy like dat. According to my insider sources, Sarah actually, Marcus is a tutor at the study hall who teaches students and helps them. A kind soul.

Marcus can be a bit observant. He noticed things that many others don’t. Which means that he may be the one watching me. His hair is a bit darker, but to be fair the night with Ace was dark so I may not have seen it clearly. I don’t think I’ve ever spoken to Marcus. It’s not that we hate each other, just that we had different friends.

I approached the study hall. It was a bit empty, only at least 20 kids spread out. I saw Marcus teaching someone and the kid stood up and left. I took this as the opportunity to ask him a few questions. 

“Hey Marcus.”

“Hello Oliver.” He didn’t look up at me. He kept his eyes on his paper he was grading. How did he know who I was?

“How’d you know it was me?”

“You have a very distinctive voice.” He looked up at me and smiled. I sat down directly in front of him. 

I took notice of his appearance. He had a scar on his right cheek. It was a small slash. 

“So, what did you need help on?”

“Just a few questions.”

“Okay then…” he held out his hands as if he wanted me to hand him the paper with the questions.

“Actually, they’re not about school. It’s about you.”

“Okay, shoot.” he looked calm. 

“On the night of the party, what did you do?” He blushed. He looked down on his paper and fiddled with his fingers.