Prologue

(Dipper pov)

I sit in the waiting room sketching in a notebook. I look around seeing other kids my age in the waiting room. The waiting room is full of little kid toys and the tv plays cartoons even though everyone in here is 12 years old. They didn't allow any parents in here, like they thought the parents would somehow help us cheat on the test. No one even knows how it works yet we're just supposed to trust the results. I find the whole ordeal super sketchy. Most of the other kids are just playing games on their phones. I got mine taken away simply for being 5 minutes past my curfew last week.

Closing the notebook I sigh not even able to focus on my drawing now. I look down at my collarbone, my fingers brushing against a bitemark there that had begun to bruise a bit. I really wish that my shirt had covered it more.

"Mason Pines?" I look up seeing a nurse with a clipboard call my name.

"Right here." I stand up as I follow her down the long hallways. She leads me to a room with a hospital bed.

"If you would just lay on the table here and the doctor will be in just a second." I climb up on the bed. She sets my notebook on the counter before she leaves the room.

I sit on the bed waiting anxiously, biting my thumbnail as it feels like it takes forever for someone to get in here. I just want to get this over with. I don't like being in places like this by myself.

"Anyone ever tell you that you shouldn't do that?"

I look up as a friendly looking doctor enters the room. "Yeah pretty much everyone tells me that."

"So do you suffer from any illnesses or disorders?"

"No. I-I mean I'm pretty sure I have social anxiety but the doctors haven't really given my parents a diagnosis about it yet. They said they're still running a few different tests to make sure it's not a physical problem."

"And you don't take any meds or anything?"

"No nothing like that at all."

"Okay." He brings over a machine and straps a leather belt thing around my head. "Now the way this works is we put you to sleep and this machine reads your brain waves."

"And that tells if I'm crazy or not?"

"Yes now lets get started. I have a lot of others to test today." Without warning he puts a needle in my arm making me wince sharply.

"Ow!" I whimper before the drugs take over and I'm knocked out.

.........................................

I open my eyes looking around me but there isn't anything around me. It's just pitch black darkness as far as the eye can possibly see.

"Hello? Is anyone there? I-I'm scared....."

This is too weird. I do have dreams and they're of normal things. But I've never had a dream that was like this.

I feel a hand on my head so I look up seeing a man who looks down giving me a kind smile. "Hello, Pinetree?"

"My name isn't Pinetree."

"I know. But that is just my nickname for you. My name is Bill."

"Where are we?"

"We are in your little head."

"Is my head always like this?"

"No not always. Who hurt you like this?" His fingers brush over the mark on my collarbone.

".....my uncle....."

"Well don't worry. I promise from here on out that man will never hurt you again. You have my word."

...........................................

I slowly look up and the doctor backs away from me as the machine beeps rapidly. I try to get up only to realize that I'm strapped down.

"What is this? W-What is going on?"

"May Jesus Christ have mercy on your poor soul child....never in all my years have I seen a child with readings like yours.....you are beyound a doubt completely nuts..."

"W-What?! B-But I'm not I swear! Please just let me go!"

I struggle against the straps trying to get free just wanting to go home.

The doctor picks up a needle again and holds my head down putting the needle into my neck injecting it into me.

My eyelids and limbs start to feel heavy as the darkness overtakes everything.