Chapter 12

(Dipper pov)

".......Dipper?" I look at Stan, him looking surprised. "My great nephew? W-Why didn't you...."

"I wanted to tell you all the truth. I did, more than anything. But I was scared you would send me back. I am not insane. "

"Is he-"

"No. Bill was never a patient. I just met him on the bus. I had nowhere else to go." I look at Ford who is standing in the only way out of the room. "Ford please-"

"Mabel, get the phone and call the police. No one listen to anything he says. The insane are masters of lying and manipulation. There is no helping them."

"I am not insane! The test was wrong!" Tears go down my cheeks and I know that it doesn't matter what I say, he won't change his mind about me.

I feel Bill wrap his arms around me tightly. "Hold on." He whispers in my ear before blue flames surround the two of us.

When the flames are gone, we're in the middle of the forest as it pours down raining. Bill lets go of me and falls to the forest floor holding his head. I kneel down keeping a hand on his back. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, just took a lot of energy to get us this far. I usually can only teleport myself short distances. It took much more energy going this far and taking you with me."

"But weren't you trying to hide from them? Now they will know that you're the demon who tried to take over the world before."

"I don't care. I told you that you will not be locked back in that place again." He cups my cheek in his hand. I gently put my hand over his.

"What on earth are we going to do? We have no money, nowhere to go?"

"We will just have to figure it out like we always do. This is no different from when I first broke you out of that place."

"This is totally different, Bill. Back then we had a plan. We knew somewhere that we could go to be safe. But now we don't have anywhere to go. We have no money, no roof over our heads, no change of clothes, neither of us has a hoodie or jacket, no food, and no one that can help us anymore."

"Dipper, just calm down. We will figure this out. We just....um....oh I know! We simply just hop on a bus and ride it as far as it will take us."

"Where? Where will get go this time? New York? New Orleans? Fucking Michigan?"

"If the bus takes us that far then yes!"

"And what then? We just lie about our identities all over again?"

"Only because we desparately have to. We can find work and maybe even rent a small room for ourselves."

"What about when someone recognizes me from the news again? We just hop on another fucking bus only to run to another town or another city just to keep fucking lying?"

"If it means keeping you free and safe then yes!"

"When does it fucking end!" I stand, not sure if the wetness on my face is from the pouring rain or my own tears.

He stands up gently grabbing my arms. "Dipper, please calm down. You're shaking."

"....that might just be me shivering a lot. It is really cold and the rain isn't helping at all."

"Come here." He pulls me close wrapping his arms around me.

"I'm just going to make you wet."

"We're both already soaked at this point that it doesn't really matter."

".....why can't I just be allowed to live my life? I don't want to keep lying and running, I hate it, but I know that we have no choice."

"I know that this isn't the life you dreamed of and I am trying everything I can to give you what you deserve." I feel him run his fingers through my soaking wet hair.

"And I appreciate everything that you do for me. It's just that everything is so fucking hard and unfair. Why can't the world just let me be happy? Don't I deserve that? Am I just not good enough?"

He gently makes me look up at him. "You are more then good enough. Trust me, you deserve all the goodness and happiness that the whole world can offer and I will do everything in my power to make sure that you get it."

".....we should get going. Ford probably called the police by now so everyone will be looking for me now. Probably hoping that they will get some kind of big money reward if they manage to find me and turn me in to the proper authorities."

He softly kisses my forehead one last time before he takes my hand leading me through the forest.

"Bill, where exactly are we going? Town and the bus station are the other way."

"We can't go back that way. The whole town will be on high alert."

"Then where are we going?"

"There is some private property up ahead. The house on the property is abandoned. I was thinking we could at least stay in there for the night and in the morning we could just start walking down the road. Either to find a different bus stop or to hitch hike to a different town where it would be safer to catch a bus there."

I stop walking hearing something that souned kind of far off but also relatively close. Looking behind me I see flashlight beams shining through the darkness and I hear dogs barking.

"Shit....Dipper come on!" Bill pulls on my hand harder as we run in betwee, trees, hearing the barking getting closer and now able to hear many male voices as well.

We get to a wired fence, barbed wire lining the top of it. Looking back behind us I see that the people are getting closer.

Bill pulls me along the fence until he finds a hole in the fence. He crawls through it before gesturing for me to follow. "Hurry!"

I crawl through and am almost all the way through when someone grabs my ankle and starts pulling me back. Bill grabs my hand desparately trying to pull me back to him as I weakly try to kick whoever is trying to pull me back.

With horror my hand slips from Bill's and I'm pulled back on the other side of the fence, kicking and screaming as someone pulls me to my feet. "No no no! Bill help!"

"Dipper!" Bill stands up hitting the fence as the man drags me back into the dark forests.

"Bill! Help me! You promised!"