Chapter 17

(Dipper pov)

3 years later

I put the money in the cash register before handing Jill the book and her reciept. "Here you go, have a nice day. I'll see you back here same time next week." I wave bye to her as she exits the book store. She comes here once a week to buy a new book. I doubt that she actually reads the books. I've caught her eyeing me funny when I bend over to pick things up. She's like 50 years old and doesn't know how to properly wear makeup. She doesn't even care what books she buys either so usually when she ask for my recommendation I just recommend the most expensive book.

I jump with a start as Amber taps my shoulder from behind. "Wow, you are still super jumpy."

"Sorry about that. Did you need something?"

"Just was letting you know that your shift ended like 10 minutes ago."

"Oh right. I'll see you tomorrow. Have a good mardi gras."

Pulling on my jacket I head out onto the streets, the night air chilling me slightly as the parade loudly goes through the streets.

"New Orleans really knows how to celebrate." I mumble to myself, people from balcony's throwing down beaded necklaces.

Hearing my phone ring I take it out of my pocket. "Hey Bill."

"Hey, you out of work yet?"

"Yeah, I just got out of work a few minutes late."

"Alright. I'm running a bit late so just wait for me at the bar and I will meet you there."

"Don't keep me waiting too long then."

"Well you better not tempt me." I can practically hear the smirk in his voice as he hangs up the call.

"Cocky bastard." I mumble under my breathe as I go to a bar around the corner, it being jam packed with people tonight. Whenever I get out of work late, or if Bill himself is running late to pick me up since I don't drive, he insists on meeting me at this bar.

Sitting at the bar stool, the bar tender gives me a glass of water before going off to take other people's orders. I always just get water here. I don't drink alcohol and I don't think that I ever will. I don't want that posion in my body.

I take a sip of my water as a guy sits in the seat next to me, wearing a smug smile on his stupid face. "Hey."

"Hi....." I take another sip of my water, honestly just trying to ignore the creep and hope that he leaves me the fuck alone or at least just goes away.

"So what is a cutie like you doing out here all alone on mardi gras?"

"I'm just waiting for someone is all. He will be here any minute."

"And who is it you're waiting for then, sweetie?" He reaches out to caress my cheek but I just lean away from him.

"I am waiting for my boyfriend. And as soon as he is here, then I am gone."

"What's the rush? Don't you want to celebrate the holiday? Maybe cut loose a little bit."

"I don't cut loose with people who don't understand the meaning of personal space." I take another drink of my water before getting off the bar stool and head to the landing on the second floor, it having a billard's table but no one else was up here playing it.

Picking up a pool stick I get the balls all lined up before I start playing the game myself. It's less fun alone, but it's better then talking to that creep for one more ghastly minute. I swear that Bill can't get here soon enough.