Chapter 6

Mads POV

"Sooo, how was your first day?" Happy asked as I sat in the back of Starks car.

"I made new friends, kinda got into a fight, but I actually made quite a few friends," I said quickly as I stared out of the tinted window.

"A fight?!" Happy exclaimed as he looked directly back at me in the car mirror.

"I met three people at first, MJ, Ned and Peter -"

"Peter Parker?"  Happy questioned, cutting me off swiftly

"Yeeahh, how'd you know?" I asked

"Tony wont be pleased you got into a fight y'know" Happy replied, quickly changing the subject, but not seamlessly. What does he know about Peter?

"I won if that helps"

Sighing in defeat, shaking his head the same way adults tend to when they should be disappointed but are happy or know your right. And an Avenger should be pleased his ward can hold her own in a fight, not like he didn't already know that.

As I walked inside I saw a familiar face talking with Tony, one that answered one of my previously ignored questions. Annoyingly, my arrival was announced before I could sneak up and listen in.

"Hey, um Madeline," Peter smiled awkwardly, "You know Mr Stark?"

"Yes, she uh does, and Mads I see you know Peter, he's an intern," Stark answered for me

"Cool, guess I'll see you in two places now," I responded, grinning slightly 

"Doesn't Pepper want to see you as soon as you get home?" Tony said through gritted teeth

"Yeah she did, anyway I'll go see her," I replied, getting the hint Tony was giving, although I didn't quite get why. But that would explain why I had to go to Midtown rather than any other school, or even be home schooled. Stark already had someone on the inside.

Contemplating possible reasons I ended up successfully running into Pepper, "Hey Pepper," I stated bluntly.

"Was school ok?" she asked, as she turned to face me.

"School was school, not the best not the worst thing ever," I responded, going on my tip toes in order to try and see what was in the box she had put down on the counter next to her.

"This box only has machine parts that Tony requested if thats what you are trying to see," Peppa caught on, grinning. They honestly just looked like fancy arm bracelets, they were silver but no doubt Tony would end up flamboyantly painting them, most probably to march his signature red and gold.

"Was I that obvious," I laughed. Of course, but thats not the point. The point is to make her think of the box so 1, you don't have to have a long conversation and 2, so you can get back to Peters suspicious conversation.  

"Yes, but I'm just about to go give these to Tony, so you go get changed and then we'll talk," she smiled. Mission accomplished?

As Peppa walked up the stairs I came down I began to make my to the security room. Which was a much easier alternative to going and hiding behind a pillar my split second decision making decided. A down the hall, to the left, up the stairs and through the magic mirror later I had arrived to Tony's car boot sale of computer screens.

I sat down on the nearest spinny chair because if a chair with wheels is an option you best know I'm sitting on it. I plugged in in my own headphones and began to listen. Just as I was settled, Peppa walked in with the box in her hands. "Peppa, wow that was a quick conversation with Madeline," Peter questioned.

"Shes waiting downstairs I just had to deliver this to Tony," Peppa replied as she put the box down on the nearest counter. Peter immediately rushed to it picking out one of the metal bracelets.

"Are these web shooters Mr Stark?!" Peter questioned excitedly.

"Yes, and they should work perfectly for Spider-Man" Tony replied, matching the grin on Peter's face.

Before I could continue eavesdropping, the monitors were turned off from behind. "Happy!" I complained as I turned around to see the security officer with the remote in his hand. Damn it.

"And why were you snooping?" he asked

"Snooping, why are we using such negative language, I was simply doing some light detective work"

"Snooping, prying whatever"

"Well you know I'm an investigator at heart," I smiled

"That's enough, I should say that you should be ashamed of yourself but I know that you won't and that you don't."

"Well I'm ashamed I got caught. Hanging out with you guys has made me lose my edge." Widely grinning, I exited the room and returned to the room Pepper told me to wait in, sat on the floor and waited. Planning on how I could catch out how Spiderman and Peter were linked.