Secrets and Therapists

I finally woke up the next morning to the sound of kids in the hallway. I was disoriented for a few seconds until I remembered that I went to sleep in the locker to surprise Paulo. He was going to love this!

After waiting about 20 boring minutes I finally spotted Paulo coming down the hall. I got myself ready to jump out at him when I saw him eyeing his lock in curiosity. Remembering having smashed the lock with a hammer, I giggled a bit.

Paulo must have heard me because he suddenly looked all around him, disbelieving that the sound came from the locker. After a shrug of his shoulders, I heard him turn the lock until he clicked the last number. He gripped the door handle and was casually opening the door when I jumped out in a hug attack on him.

"SURPRISE, PAULO!" I shouted as I hugged him round the neck. He had screamed like a little girl when I jumped at him and we both fell to the ground.

"WHAT? H-HOW? WHEN?" He stuttered out as I continued our hug on the floor. He finally got himself together, "What are you DOING in my LOCKER?" He furiously yelled.

"Surprise?" I said timidly.

"How did you even get in there?" He asked in complete confusion. I knew he'd be surprised.

"I have my methods." I answered vaguely. Weren't vague answers always sexy?

"Please, for the last time! Leave me alone!" He begged me and got up. He was always joking like this. I loved this kid. But now we had to be serious.

"Look, Paulo. I need to have a serious talk with you." I said totally straight-faced and serious.

"Serious? A serious talk? And you planned to start this serious talk by giving me half a heart attack?" Maybe that wasn't one of my best plans...

"Well yes. Please listen. I am going to say something that you might not be ready to hear, but I want you to know that your secret will always be safe with me." I hoped that he'd trust me.

"You know?" He questioned. At least he was willing to admit that it wasn't a secret anymore.

"Yes. And I want you to know that I'm not changing my feelings for you because I know, and I'll always be in love with you." Hearing my own words made butterflies come in my stomach, waiting for his reply to it.

"Uh. I-I'm glad you're not judging me on my secret. But anyway, I don't have the same feelings for you. And we will never have a relationship." He was breaking my heart to protect me.

"Paulo, please don't do this. We can have a relationship! It doesn't matter what you are!" I wanted to shout this to the world, but I did it in hushed tones.

"Rebecca, I don't want to have to be so blunt with this but-"

"BUT I'M IN LOVE WITH YOU!" I yelled, saving our relationship!

"I do not like you! I do not want to date you, and I don't want to be friends! You've been stalking me for days and it creeps me out! I swear I will get the Restraining Order if you do not leave me alone!"

His words hurt. I felt tears coming on. I knew these words weren't true, he just wanted to protect me from dying or becoming a vampire. Then the idea sparked in my brain. What if I became a vampire too?

"Then change me! Make me one of your kind and we can be together forever!" I begged.

"One of my kind?" He had on one of his oddball expressions. "What secret are you talking about?"

I lowered my voice to a whisper, "You know... what you are."

"Then say it. Out loud." He whispered. This was just like a scene from my teen vampire romance novels! I was so excited; butterflies were swirling around in my stomach even more as I said the word.